classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The time had come.....1961 E-Type Jaguar
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My man seems to have worked all hours last week. More photos:-

Carburettors on, throttle linkage reconnected, clutch and brake reservoirs too.

From the other side you can see the new manifolds (old ones cracked) which are not enamelled but painted with BBQ fire-resistant paint. About one tenth of the cost of enamelling which in any case cracks and falls off if you have the temerity to exceed 60 mph. Also you can see the new wiring loom attached to the dynamo. The old loom was way past its sell-by date.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear axle, clean for the first time in 27 years:-

Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work... Shocked

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance the rest of us can borrow "your man" for a week or two? Wink

It's all looking really nice Very Happy

Dave
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't think I am being derogatory when I say "my man". It's meant to be jocular. On a serious note he's a youngster by most of our standards, early thirties, has taught himself lead loading, is a time-served apprentice at bodywork, and works on his own. I went to him because I like to support the "little man", but not at the expense of quality of course. His shut lines - and I first saw a 420G body he had done - are sublime, and as you all can see he is no slacker at mechanics either. The rear axle wasn't rebuilt by him, and I am a bit annoyed since if you look carefully the locking wires are crossed so will rub through, and they are fixed anti-clockwise so will actually undo the bolts slightly if left. They'll be redone north-south tomorrow. What was surprising to me was that the shockers and the springs were in fine fettle after all the hammering the car has taken over the last quarter of a century and didn't need replacing.

Just as I signed off these photos came in. Properly wired now, and the brake pipes connected. You'll note I took the decision to use Goodrich flexibles this time. So he's been a busy bunny once nore:-

Of course, some people don't live up to their name. Speedy Cables is somewhat of a misnomer in my book, but they have promised to have the instruments back in two weeks now. They were in need of redoing because the cards had started to peel off and the oil pressure glass was frosted when the oil pressure sender shorted in Switzerland and smoke started coming out of the dashboard. A quick halt and the wires yanked off in double quick time I assure you! But the gauge was so hot that maybe they can save it from the inside, if not a new glass.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of the week update:-

The new fan is in place, and I don't like at all the new Kenlowe fashion of two cable ties passing through the radiator matrix to hold the fan on. They say no problems, but I have seen two leaking radiators due to the cable ties fretting. I also hear tales of the fan touching the steering rack too, but haven't seen it. Anyway, I researched alternatives and in the USA found this fan from Cool Cat. It bolts onto the picture frame just like the old two-bladed windmill, fits nicely in the cowl, and displaces 2000 cufm.

The new wiring loom is loosely installed, and a good piece it is too I am told. All wires correctly coded, all wires the correct length, and cotton braided just like the originals.

lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A milestone was reached this week. The cat purred. Most importantly, Speedy Cables lived up to their name and returned the gauges, four months after they received them.

lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now it is time for the old girl to get dressed. Taking after Chris de Burgh, she is now becoming "Lady in Red".

I am really looking forward to seeing her again, and drive her. We have never been separated for so long in 25 years.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

Have a friend with a series 1 flat floor, he is also assembling his car now (Coupe)
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week or so down the line and here are the latest photos. I am just in awe of the shut lines;-

lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our third windscreen now. How can some companies sell two makes, like Barratt, knowing they are different in height and width when Jaguar made but one size? Here are some photos of the two screen so you can decide for yourselves:-

dickwedwards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: 1963 E Type Reply with quote

Hi,

I live south of you with an "in bits" 3.8 '63 Roadster, be good to chat, but your e-mail seems to have changed,

regards,

dick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: