classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Oil for lever arm shocks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Dobbin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Oil for lever arm shocks Reply with quote

I'm going to check the levels in the lever arms shocks on my 103E and was wondering what the best oil to use to top them up (at present I don't know what's in them so I making an assumption, I know I shouldn't that it is correct). I've read that the original specified oil M100502C (taken from the workshop manual) is an SAE20 spec oil of which there are two types. Type 1 for every day use and type 2 for firmer suspension more suited to competition. There's no chance my car will require that!
I've had a look around and I believe this is the same as a motorbike shocker oil, is this correct? What oil do you use and where have you found the best place to get it(brand, supplier). Oh one last question as I forgot to look the manual before posting this, what is the capacity of each shocker,

Thanks
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in my P2 Rover Jack hydraulic OIL or motor cycle shock absorber oil - if you want something thinner I suppose some of the light modern car mineral oils can be used
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
if you want something thinner I suppose some of the light modern car mineral oils can be used

If you mean engine oil, then I beg to differ. Engine oil is not suitable for hydraulic applications because it lacks essential anti-foaming agents.

Both Penrite and Millers have 'shock absorber' oil in various grades. Failing that, motorcycle fork oil is quite satisfactory.

Richard
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penrite do two different oils which is made specifically for Armstrong lever arm shock absorbers
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use motorcycle fork oil from Halfords in my car's dampers.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
BigJohn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my Phase 2 Vanguard I was at a garage where an old mechanic came out and told me he worked on them as an apprentice at a Standard agent. Regarding the hard use by farmers towing trailers he said the rear dampers started on shock oil, then ep90, then straight cut ep140, then they fitted grease nipples....
Possibly not the factory recommendations.
Dobbin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get the Penrite shockoil last Friday from Oilrite in Carluke.
stevel98

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil for lever arm shocks Reply with quote

Dobbin wrote:
I'm going to check the levels in the lever arms shocks on my 103E and was wondering what the best oil to use to top them up (at present I don't know what's in them so I making an assumption, I know I shouldn't that it is correct). I've read that the original specified oil M100502C (taken from the workshop manual) is an SAE20 spec oil of which there are two types. Type 1 for every day use and type 2 for firmer suspension more suited to competition. There's no chance my car will require that!
I've had a look around and I believe this is the same as a motorbike shocker oil, is this correct? What oil do you use and where have you found the best place to get it(brand, supplier). Oh one last question as I forgot to look the manual before posting this, what is the capacity of each shocker,

Thanks

Do they need topped up? If so might be the seals at fault. Why not swap them for recon ones?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: