classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can anyone tell me what type of Shock absorbers we should
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
hillmanseeker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Can anyone tell me what type of Shock absorbers we should Reply with quote

Hi, Not sure what our 1954 Hillman Minx Californian should have, front and rear?

Should the units be Armstrong? are there 4? Does anyone have the right number for the units? Even better does anyone know where I can get new old stock or reconditioned ones?
Car is leaning to the right slightly so wondered if it was leaf springs or these units if that's what's fitted to ours? front or backs?

Any help, much appreciated!
Best, Dave. Wink
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day

Yes they will be Armstrong 'lever arm' units one at each corner. The rear springs will be of the leaf variety again one in each rear corner. The front are coil springs, again one in each front corner. Generally the ride height is governed by the springs. Coil springs tend to be pretty reliable unless they are broken, leaf springs tend to 'sag' but can break, visual inspection is all that is required. The only real way to check the leaf springs ( or any spring) is to remove and sit them side by side. Dampers can be assessed by visual checking for leaks and/or bouncing the car on each corner to check for firmness. Lever arm dampers have the facility to be topped up with oil - there is a filling bung in the top of them - although ideally this should be done with the unit off the vehicle.

The art of overhauling lever arm dampers seems to be dying as the older, so called experts, are retiring. I don't know of anyone and I am aware that it has been discussed on other forums with reports of some sub-standard repairs being carried out. Years ago there were after market options of telescopic optional conversions for the Minx but I would imagine this route, although possible, would be time consuming and expensive.

If the drop to one side is not excessive and there are no obvious mechanical failure I would live with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: