classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

pothole damage --who`s to blame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: pothole damage --who`s to blame. Reply with quote

This is an almighty problem in wales at the moment but no one seems to take responsibility.I have reported a number of horrendous mini caverns in my local area and the local authority say they are being dealt with in due course.Problem is,this was over four months ago and still you attack the road in slalom style to miss the potholes.In a moment of forgetfulness, I succeded in ploughing through a crevice, snapping a rear suspension spring ! Has any one managed to claim from the council and received a proportion of the repair bill?
Cheers---Ray the rocker....
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit a pot hole a few years ago and it ruined a tyre. It was on a local road so is the councils responsibility. I took some photo's and dimensions of the hole. Councils have a standard claim form that you need to fill in, submitted it and they coughed up for a new tyre without any other query Smile

Dave
bob2

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should come over to Malta
you need a helicopter in order to avoid all the potholes!!
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of information about how to claim here:

http://www.potholes.co.uk/claims/how_to_claim

http://www.highways.gov.uk/our-road-network/land-property-and-compensation/claims-for-damage-caused-by-potholes/

Has anyone been successful? I know a couple of people who say they have but it can be a convoluted and sometimes lengthy process.

As for reporting potholes; that can work too. After I reported the poor surface on a short stretch of street around the corner from me it was totally resurfaced and I've also had speed bumps reduced in height when they were found not to conform to guidelines (too steep and too high).

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
47p2

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pothole has previously been reported then you will have no problem making a claim, however proving it has previously been reported is the most difficult part
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2 wrote:
If the pothole has previously been reported then you will have no problem making a claim, however proving it has previously been reported is the most difficult part

Not sure why this makes any difference? If the highways agency or local council fail in their obligations to maintain a public highway, and this failure causes damage it's a straight forward case.

Don't be put off by an initial defence that makes out there is no case ( very common first stance) or the first poultry offer again standard practice, I have sued / claimed our local council twice and been successful both times. However there are a load of low life who try to claim when there wasn't a real claim, and this caused councils to be defensive. As long as you have a genuine claim you will be successful.

Dave
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hurts doesn't it? Three days after getting my car back from restoration I hit an almighty pothole, the bonnet catch on one side sprung, and lo and behold the off side bonnet edge dug into the sill and knocked the paint off. Grrrr!

She'll be fixed this coming week.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased that the cars I have all have pressed steel wheels.

One day, searching for an elusive replacement at a local car breakers (well, it WAS a scrap yard, but that suggests penny-pinching! Very Happy). I happened to notice piles of alloy wheels, but never more than 3 matching. The breaker commented that he rarely gets a set of four because the fourth one has inevitably been smashed by kerbing or hitting a pothole.
Hmmm.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: