classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Poor oil pressure after oil change?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Fatbloke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be that the oil pressure relief valve is sticking open. Had that on a mates MGB last month.
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Fatbloke?
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

How could the pressure be different either side of the airlock ?? It's not a closed system ?

Dave

Dead right Dave!
Comparing a hydraulic air lock in a brake pipe is ridiculous!
If the master cylinder had unlimited travel the brakes would come on!
Anyway with a tiny bubble of air in the brakes they will often work - but with a spongy pedal. Pumping the pedal to compress the "bubble" can often produce full braking (even if not safe!).
Jim.

I suppose that the branch off to a pressure gouge could be called a "closed" branch. not that it makes any difference.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual pressure might be the same (as once compressed the pressure in the air bubble and oil will be the same) but I found the mechanical gauge was erratic and much slower to rise with an air lock. Bleeding it made a mess and restored its normal readings at one and the same time.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had no time to do anything about this for quite a while now, but managed to steal a couple of hours this morning. Testing the temp gauge & sender with thermometer and hot water shows that gauge to be surprisingly accurate - just below 90c mark on gauge, 88c on thermometer - so it looks like a new thermostat is on the shopping list along with a few oil filters and various other odd bits. Also tried having a look at the oil pressure relief valve but couldn't quite remove it with the engine in situ, it unscrews but fouls on the chassis and won't come out. Perhaps when I have more time raising the engine slightly with a jack will provide the necessary clearance, there isn't much in it. When that might be is anyone's guess though Rolling Eyes
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, a parcel of parts arrived the other day - well, I say arrive, with the whole day to choose from it came while I was out for 20 mins walking the dog, so I had to go and get it from the sorting office Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes But anyhoo, I changed the oil filter this afternoon and went out on a quick local run to the shops, haven't been far as yet but the early signs are encouraging, oil pressure seems to be back to normal both at cold start and when up to temperature, a real differnce from when I did the same trip the other week. I have a longer trip to do tomorrow which will get it properly hot so should know for sure then, but hopefully the only thing left to do is fit the new thermostat Smile

I still can't figure out how a simple filter could cause this problem Confused but it does prove the value of fitting a gauge and keeping an eye on it.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the "new" filter NOS as old filters are notorious for collapsing internally as they dry out.
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Was the "new" filter NOS as old filters are notorious for collapsing internally as they dry out.

I'd say it was new rather than NOS, I had it from a supposedly reputable supplier that presumably has a fair turnover in the things - but it was totally unbranded, the only marking being a part number, so I suspect a cheap and nasty Chinese copy. Box was branded "classic gold" but that isn't a brand I've come across before or since... Oddly enough I've used lots of NOS filters over the years and only ever had trouble with one lot, very large with a defective anti-drain valve (very important for these engines) so I had to spin the engine over for ages to get the oil flowing before letting it start. I binned that one after a week and flogged the rest on fleabay, think I near enough got my money back too Cool That was back in the day when you could list stuff at 99p - free listing - but cover yourself by bumping up the postage charge to pretty much whatever you liked, shame they got wise to that trick Laughing
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been for a decent run today, looks like it is sorted. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts on another odd problem Smile
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that is point with classics - its not the end of the world or a huge bill (and long delay) to fix it as with modern cars. They need regular attention for sure but at least they can be be fixed
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great to have a decent outcome!

kev
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a good result. I agree with the ebay comments,looking at it now they seem to have pretty much got rid of the small private sellers and the chance of a bargain.Now its mainly new,cheap tat.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
Yes a good result. I agree with the ebay comments,looking at it now they seem to have pretty much got rid of the small private sellers and the chance of a bargain.Now its mainly new,cheap tat.

I think that's about it. I used to use it a fair bit to dispose of surplus odds and ends, even broken stuff that other people could use for spares, but it's just too much work now. Although to be fair, the real killer for me was when the Royal Mail brought in this "pricing in proportion" lark for parcels - time was I would just weigh the item, addd a bit extra for the weight of the packaging, and list it on one of the regular free listing weekends. Now to be safe I reckon I would need to parcel the thing up before listing to be able to measure up the (recycled) box as well, and of course it might hang around without selling for a while, maybe the label telling me what's in it would get smudged, perhaps I'd lose the photos on the computer and need to open it up to take new pictures... Plus ebay now won't let you list with despatch times over 3 days, so I'd have to make a special trip to the post office rather than doing it while collecting the old man's pension on shopping day. I haven't listed anything since and I reckon a lot of other small sellers have given it up as a bad job as well.
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use myhermes or collect plus. Confusingly myhermes collect from my door, collect plus I drop off in the local garage. Both cheaper than parcel force. They do have size restrictions
stevel98

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These "old" oils are plain rubbish. The cans may look good on a garage shelf but the contents are probably just recycled oil.

A good quality oil, is worth spending money on especially a decent synthetic as they lubricate way better than the old mineral stuff and last almost indefinately, so it works out cheaper. Not all sythetics are thin either.

My 150k mile Corvette uses Mobil1 Extended life 10w60 and is changed every two years or 20k miles. The old oil is still very good and is in fact filtered though muslin and reused by my neighbour for his Morris Oxford!

btw.. Duckhams was bought out by BP over 45years ago, and the green 20w50 oil we get so misty eyed about was in fact BP Visco-Static with a green dye.

Don't skimp on oil, its just not worth it for a cute old timey can..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: