classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Clutch Stuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Farmer John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Clutch Stuck Reply with quote

Hi. I read very recently a post from a member concerning a clutch plate not releasing, so I hope the member finds this. Had a really good "boy look" and cannot locate that thread.
Probably the plate is adhering to the flywheel and not very strongly at that.
The best that that can be done without dismantling is to adjust all of the free play from the clutch, even increase the release travel if the adjuster makes that possible. Block the pedal hard down on the floor or tie it down, or even use a load binder or wedge on the clutch fork. The intention is to separate the plate from either the flywheel or the pressure plate by quarter of an inch or so, so that there is absolutely no chance at all of any clamping pressure on the clutch. Leave it like that for as long as possible.

John
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine runs get the engine up to temperature and the bellhousing nice and hot.
Jack up the back of the car.

If the handbrake or rear foot brakes works all the better.

Now start up the car in second gear.

Keep pressing the foot brake or keep pulling on the handbrake.

Give the foot brake some sharp short pushes hard.
Press down on the clutch pedal at the same time.

This normally does the trick even on cars that have stood fro 25 years ( I know I have had one).

I must have released countless of clutches like this.

G.F
Jaguars.
Rootes Cars.
MG.
Etc.

Viking Fibreline Caravan.
Cheltenham Sable
Shorts Built Vintage Caravan 1936.
welder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, years ago I bought a Triumph Stag that had been languishing in a garage for some years and the clutch didn't release.

I got the car started and fully warmed. Switched off and engaged reverse then started the car while in gear. The clutch freed instantly.

Ian
P3steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gresham flyer"]If the engine runs get the engine up to temperature and the bellhousing nice and hot.
Jack up the back of the car.

If the handbrake or rear foot brakes works all the better.

Now start up the car in second gear.

Keep pressing the foot brake or keep pulling on the handbrake.

Give the foot brake some sharp short pushes hard.
Press down on the clutch pedal at the same time.

This normally does the trick even on cars that have stood fro 25 years ( I know I have had one).

I must have released countless of clutches like this.

Has always worked for me never had to take a clutch out that was stuck. Steve (Ex Leyland mechanic)
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's right to try all the usual brutal tricks to free it but it's worth remembering that it may be impossible.

I have had one that had rusted itself into the flywheel to such an extent that even after dismantling it was necessary to use a chissel to get the last bits of clutch plate off.

Peter
alec.elliot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent a couple of years rebuilding my old TR4A (RPJ365F - Where are you now?) I found the clutch stuck and after much jacking up and running, bouncing the clutch, etc it would still not free itself.

In the end I resorted to drilling a small hole in the bellhousing and inserted a small punch side onto the clutch plate and with Mrs E's foot on the cluctch pedal gave it a wack. Not strictly correct but it worked and no further problems were experienced.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a hydralulic clutch, there may not be any fluid or pressure left in the system.
But rather than running the engine on jack stands, as long as the brakes work, try a short tow, 3rd gear, engine off.
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing a vehicle is fine if you have a private roadway.

But if you have just purchased a long term stored vehicle and got it home in your workshop it perhaps is not taxed, mot`d or insured, so towing it up and down the street in front of your house is not a good idea.

Much better to get the braking system working first, get the engine running, sort out the clutch mechanism, then jack up the car to attempt to release the clutch.

This is best carried out on the long term stored complete vehicle that ran and drove before being put in storage.

The longest stored vehicle I carried this out to was one that had been in a garage for 25 years.
It ran and drove very well afterwards.

OK I accept that some projects are perhaps beyond this approach, they would require stripping out of the mechanicals anyway, so the approach Rick carried out might be in order.

Good luck.

G.F
Jaguars.
Rootes Cars.
MG.
Etc.

Viking Fibreline Caravan.
Cheltenham Sable
Shorts Built Vintage Caravan 1936.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the gentle approach. Hold the pedal down put it in a high gear and rock the car backwards and forwards. Takes a while but I've never had one that didn't release yet.
Scamonomics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

Finally, I got the clutch unstuck.

I'll add a reference to my original thread to this offshoot thread.

Anyway, here's what i did:

I replaced the seals in the slave cylinder, but that didn't seem to add any extra movement on the clutch, so I ratchet-strapped the pivot arm under the car, so that I knew for sure that the clutch was disengaging the clutch plate. then I ran the car in fourth on a jack for about ¾ of an hour. I ran it at very low speed, so low that the engine was very lumpy. the idea was that the lumpy running would apply gentle torque to the clutch, freeing it.

That didn't work, so I loosed the jack very quickly so the car slammed down on the rotating wheel, there was a 'clang' and it freed!

What a relief, I can now drive it...

I'll bleed the brakes, get her insured and take her for a spin.

many thanks

Stumbler
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Once you have it on the road watch out for the possibility of the clutch dragging.

I once had a new Vauxhall HB which burnt it's clutch out in under 2,000 miles,when they dismantled it they found that only the side next to the flywheel had worn out and the splines were badly rusted, it was thought that when being put together the protective wax had been removed from the splines and then a strike was called leaving the bare metal unprotected long enough for rust to start up and then the centre plate was staying in contact with the flywheel when the clutch was depressed..

As it took a quite drastic measure to get yours unstuck it just might be that you have rust forming on that part of the splines which the centre plate slips back to when depressing the clutch.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec.elliot wrote:
Having spent a couple of years rebuilding my old TR4A (RPJ365F - Where are you now?)

O/T - just been re-taxed until the end of June 2015.

I used to have clutch trouble in a car that I stored over winter in a lock-up garage, and was told all sorts of techniques to shock it free, to warm it thoroughly and use the differing expansion rates to free it, but never had any luck and always had to remove the gearbox. Once the gearbox was out it would invariably come off with the flick of a fingernail, which was frustrating. After that I started wedging down the clutch pedal when the car was left, so that the plate wasn't in contact with the flywheel.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
alec.elliot wrote:
Having spent a couple of years rebuilding my old TR4A (RPJ365F - Where are you now?)

O/T - just been re-taxed until the end of June 2015.

I used to have clutch trouble in a car that I stored over winter in a lock-up garage, and was told all sorts of techniques to shock it free, to warm it thoroughly and use the differing expansion rates to free it, but never had any luck and always had to remove the gearbox. Once the gearbox was out it would invariably come off with the flick of a fingernail, which was frustrating. After that I started wedging down the clutch pedal when the car was left, so that the plate wasn't in contact with the flywheel.

Do the hydraulic seals not complain if the clutch pedal is left down long term? (assuming the mechanism is not mechanical only)

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: