classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Triumph Vitesse mk1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
natboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Triumph Vitesse mk1 Reply with quote

Hi Folks
Im going to have a look at a mk1 vitesse this weekend,from the pictures it looks in pretty good nick. Could someone give me some advise on what to look out for on these cars please.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust is the biggie, check everything below the waistline really, including all around the lower edges of the bonnet, chassis outriggers behind the sills and under the boot floor for starters. The sills aren't structural, but what lies behind them is. With the bonnet up have a good look at the scuttle, as it gets peppered with road muck and rots easily.

The engines are pretty resilient although I've a vague recollection, from my Triumph days, that some parts of the 1600 engine may be getting scarce (saying that they could now be being re-manufactured!!). If it has overdrive, see that it works.

The rear suspension on the Mk1 is simpler than that on the Mk2, the latter handles better though but is more complicated to maintain.

Front trunnions need to be oiled rather than greased, they have been known to snap (don't ask how I found that out) if not oiled regularly.

Is it a convertible or a saloon?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really very pertinent to this thread, but I think the "snapping" of trunnion joints was caused more by the severe strain the ridiculous turning circle imposed by the excessive steering lock. Particularly as the front wheels stay parallel instead of having "toe-out on turns". So they "skid" on full lock. Try pushing one of these round a sharp corner (but don't bust a gut!)
Quite a lot of people (including myself) have limited the steering lock by placing Jubilee Clips on the steering rack ends under the rubber boot.
My Vitesse has never had trunnions replaced and has now covered over 150k miles with no precautions and perhaps a few greasing (no they have NEVER been oiled) dates missed along the way.
By the way, the two fore and aft chassis rails dip just below the differential. Water can collect internally and corrode through.
Any excessive rear tyre wear may be due to replacing the rear outriggers Rick mentions and ignoring the NEED to check rear wheel alignment afterwards (essential). I believe even Haynes manuals ignore that!
Jim.
natboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise Lads,im usually a Ford man but i fancy a change plus the parts situation is a lot better for Triumph. Mk 2 Cortina parts are a nightmare to get hold of.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canley Classics are a first bet for me for Vitesse parts.
Easily Googled.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: