classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

"Flick of a switch"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Mosquito

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: "Flick of a switch" Reply with quote

Someone suggested that you could connect a transistor ignition in such a manner that you could revert to the points at the flick of a switch. That idea rather appeals to me, but I can't figure out exactly how to do the wiring. Below is a diagram for the Velleman K 2543 transistor ignition. Could someone please advise on what type of switch to use and where to incorporate it in the wiring?
[img][/img]
Nils
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably me, see diagram below, all you need to purchase is a DPDT ( double pole double throw) additional wiring in red.

It could be made simpler as c1 in the Kit is of course the correct value to create the oscillations with the coil, so could be used rather than switching in a traditional "condenser" in traditional ignition mode.

Dave
Mosquito

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, Dave! It has saved me a lot of head-scratching. I assume that Velleman nr 1 still connects to the ignition switch?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosquito wrote:
Thank You, Dave! It has saved me a lot of head-scratching. I assume that Velleman nr 1 still connects to the ignition switch?

Yep Vellaman Number 1 still goes to the ignition switch , I could have shown it connected to the coil but was trying to keep the diagram simple.

In a lot if cases it's simpler to mount the traditional condenser outside of the distributor, otherwise you have to run 2 wires into the distributor .

Don't be tempted to leave the original condenser wired in as it would have been originally, if you do this, when running with the electronic ignition on, you will have 2 capacitors (condensers) in parallel (C1 and the original condenser) , this will double the amount of capacitance . Without going too technical the capacitor and the coil work together ; oscillating (a tuned circuit) doubling the capacitance will obviously effect this tuning, which in turn effects the spark. Whilst the car will probably still run, you will have lost as much as gained by putting electronic ignition in !

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: