classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Calibrating a torque wrench
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
rcx822

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Calibrating a torque wrench Reply with quote

I've bought a used 3/4 " torque wrench. I tested it against another, almost new from shop, torque wrench and they both click at totally different torques!

I've read about calibrating a torque wrench using a vice and weights. But how do I actually adjust the torque wrench to make the calibration? There is a hole in the arm, like all torque wrenches have, but when I shine a torch down the hole there's nothing down there! What should I be putting in the hole? A hex key?

It's a Teng Tools torque wrench. Are these things servicable?
Also, if the wrench is totally knackers could it be beyond calibration?
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/index.php?q=0&p=b2c_calibration_price_list&s=calibration_price_list

May cost more to get it recalibrated than buying a new one, if its a decent quality item probably worth getting done however.

I have a 3/8" drive Teng item that goes down to low settings (great for motorcycles) and a 1/2" Old Britool item that takes over for the bigger stuff.
I had the Britool wrench serviced about 10 years ago and i doubt it will get done again.

Kev
rcx822

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this torque wrench needs a strip down. The calibration hole just doesn't have anything under it! Wish me luck... never taken one apart.

I think I'll just use the vice and weights trick to calibrate it rather than pay £50 plus shipping in both directions. Or maybe I'll try my luck and see if the dealer will replace it under Teng lifetime warranty. I know that they once used to replace tools no questions asked, but dunno about a £150 torque wrench.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to test it before stripping? You may be supreised at its accuracy

Kev
rcx822

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a suitably sized socket to attach it to a torque wrench which is almost new. They clicked at totally different torques! Ok, maybe a more thorough test is in order. Advice taken..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: