classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Universal fuel guage questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
rcx822

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Universal fuel guage questions Reply with quote

Any reason why all the universal fuel guages insist on coming with their own senders? I was hoping to find one that could be adjusted to work with any sender so I can keep my original sender without modifying my tank to fit a universal sender. I've measured my sender and it goes from 0 ohms to 140 ohms from one end of its range to the other.

If I can't find something then I was thinking of forfeiting the fuel guage and using a simple warning light on a simple transistor circuit which lights up at a set level. Only concern here is that this might flash a lot as the float moves up and down. Maybe the proper fuel guages have some sort of circuit to stabilise the guage so that it doesn't show each movement of the float if you know what I mean.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you can't simply add a single compensation resistance that would deliver a linear change over a variable resistance.

Dave
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can overcome any annoying flashing by putting a timer in the line that requires say ten seconds continual contact from the tank sender unit to bring the light on.

Keith
Dobbin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A capacitor across the gauge stops the gauge bouncing about as it acts as a damper, meaning that changes are shown on the gauge more gradually and not instantly as the level in the tank changes such as going round a corner or along a bumpy road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: