classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford E493A Prefect roof seal rubber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Ford E493A Prefect roof seal rubber Reply with quote

Hull gain all,
I have been working on the inside trim of the car, making up and covering various trim pieces and fitting the furry draught excluder!!!. Yesterday as I had the whole afternoon free I decided to have a go at fitting a new seal on the fabric roof. The roof fabric was very good so I left that alone but as I said before when I got the car most of the rubber items had perished, including the roof seal, so before it was sprayed I removed it. Now before the trimmer comes to fit the head lining I thought I would fit the new one which I got from the FSOC. I spent the whole afternoon trying to get it the rubber started in the groove. I had had it in the airing cupboard overnight to make it supple but even using swarfega I couldn't get the outer straight edge to sit down in the groove. So in the end I was so frustrated I gave up. The manual mentions a special tool, but I am loathe to dig around in there with steel. Can anyone out there give me any advice or help please
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that lipped groove is anything like the one on an Austin Ten I feel your pain with that job. I have had success with a silicone spray which is usually used on the seals of underground drainage pipes when trying to fit rubber components.
safechief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Ford prefect roof seal rubber Reply with quote

Thanks for that, willing to try anything. why did they fit these fabric roofs anyway/ save on steel perhaps
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
If that lipped groove is anything like the one on an Austin Ten I feel your pain with that job. I have had success with a silicone spray which is usually used on the seals of underground drainage pipes when trying to fit rubber components.

You can get the same silicone lubricant in a bottle too, which may be handier for controlling just where it goes. Wickes sell it, but probably not the only ones. I had some for assembling a run of soil pipe back in the summer, but have found it useful for all sorts of odd jobs since then.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once wrote an article for the FSOC regarding fitting a complete new fabric roof to my 7W. It was a tricky job but only took a day for the complete job as I recall.

I remember blunting a very large flat end screwdriver to ease the new rubber channel in, that's what took the longest just inching that round.
safechief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Prefect E493A Roof Seal Rubber Reply with quote

Hullo all. I finally gave up after another wasted eight hours with silicone lubtricant, swarfega, hair dryer, kitchen spatula spoons etce and called in the professional. Roger said that the rubber seemed too hard, more like plastic than natural rubber. He struggled also, in the end we chamfered off the square edge of the rubber with a dremel, then he used a karge stiff decorators scraper and a rubber mallet to knock it in. Have to wait for warmer weather to put mastic in. Back wings are now on and next week the trimmer is coming to put in a new head lining. Next job for me is front wings and running boards
Peugeot, renault etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: