classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Alarms and trackers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
rcx822

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Alarms and trackers Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've been working on overcoming some of the weaknesses of low cost alarms and trackers, and wanted to get some input from people on their experiences and ideas.

The most popular low cost self-install tracker is the TK102. Trouble is it's not that reliable, sometimes goes offline, and is awkward and slow to use. Connecting it up to the car battery drains the accumulator. Wiring it to the ignition live helps but if the car is not on long enough it won't have time to charge the tracker.

I've created a website (web application to be exact) with some work colleagues that integrates with the TK102 or TK103 (via GPRS) and overcomes some of these problems. It periodically checks if the tracker is online and sends an email if it goes offline. It allows the tracker to be reset remotely, or configured remotely using a wizard rather than awkward SMS commands. It also alters the rate at which the tracker sends positions depending on whether the vehicle is moving or tracker is charging, hence optimising battery use. It also stores vehicle movement history and only plots a movement if the vehicles moves a minimum distance, to stop the"jumping around" that you get when the tracker thinks a stationary vehicle is moving around due to GPS inaccuracies. It also tries to determine if the unit went offline due to battery discharge or other reason. And of course it lets you view the trackers location from a web browser or mobile phone.

I've also got a friend who's working on a new 12v charger which disconnects the tracker from the main accumulator if the accumulator voltage drops too much. It also attaches a larger second backup battery to extend battery life when the tracker is not taking power from the accumulator because the voltage has dropped or the accumulator has been disconnected (eg. by a thief).

Also, the alarm can be powered off this charger/external battery unit to give backup power to the alarm. Also if the custom charger/external battery senses that the accumulator has been disconnected (eg by thief) it sends a signal to the tracker to alert the owner via the trackers SMS/text feature (TK103 has this feature).

The website is working and I'm testing it with friends. The little charger/backup battery custom module hasn't been started yet.

That's what I've done so far. Please note that I have limited experience with alarms, electronics, vehicle security, so if there's mistakes in my thinking then please go easy on me!

In the spirit of the internet I'll make the website publicly available to anyone who wants to use it with their TK102 or TK103, at no cost of course but not just yet because at the moment I'm still finishing the "multi user access" functionality. The website might also work with other TK series trackers assuming they have the same GPRS protocol.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TK103. Its current draw doesn't bother me when the car is in use but if laid up in the garage I connect a little wall wart that charges at greater current than the tracker draws but I run it on a time switch to avoid over charging.

The only problem I had was that it is only negative earth.

I use GSM Remote to talk to it.
SMS RC is also quite good.

This is a great program: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=google

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
rcx822

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter, so you're content just topping up your tracker routinely.

Any features that you think it's lacking or the software is lacking?

I'm not sure if I properly explained the little custom unit that my friend is developing. It basically does these things:

1. Extends the battery life of the tracker by supplementing it with another battery for when the tracker is not being charged by the car's accumulator.
2. Protects the cars accumulator from over discharge
3. Provides backup power to the alarm (optional)
4. Trips the alarm or tracker if the car accumulator is disconnected. TK103 tracker can then warn the owner by SMS.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My use of it is to have it send me texts when the car moves. It runs off the car's battery but has a few hours of use from its internal battery if the thief decides to disconnect the car battery.

I figured that it would give me the approximate location of the thief's destination but for more accuracy when I get there I have also arranged that I can turn a siren on/off remotely via the TK103.

I am not using it to turn on a siren or immobilise the car in my absence.

As to supplying it with power during prolonged car storage there is no option but to provide an external supply which is what I do. My method may cause a very slight over charging or discharging of the car battery but I don't think this is important. We are only talking milliamps.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: