classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Gear oil for Veteran car gearbox
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us I am sure will be interested to hear how you get on with that oil, Richard.

The general consensus amongst the old car fraternity has always been that there is no need for an extreme pressure oil in crash boxes.
Rdover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a follow up message that Transoil 140 would be good as well given it is a thicker grade.

Why do people think an extreme pressure oil is unnecessary? Is it because of the relatively low speeds or tolerances? My knowledge of oils is limited especially for older cars.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I knew, Richard. I assume (and it can be dangerous to assume things!) that EP oils were developed specifically for hypoid use.

A chap I know who has covered huge distances in his vintage Dodge uses 1000 W. I would use same but I had already bought 20 litres of 620W so I resorted to the STP gearbox oil additive. I wouldn't normally go adding anything to my oil but it worked and the chap I spoke to also said it was O.K.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdover wrote:

Why do people think an extreme pressure oil is unnecessary?

Maybe not unnecessary but undesirable. EP is supposed to erode yellow metals.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Peter, but the HP oil in this case is supposed to have been developed to protect copper alloys. Brass bushes used in this gearbox (brass being an alloy of copper and zinc) should hopefully be O.K.

I say "hopefully" because I am suspicious of such claims.
Rdover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of non-EP EP grade oils out there to be backwards compatible. Fuchs do a whole range of them and I have no reason to disbelieve them after doing over 200,000 miles in my Landrovers using 'Non EP' EP oil in my gearbox to no ill effect (in fact fresh oil returns the box to feeling almost new!)

I don't understand what it is in them that avoid the problem tho'
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instinct is that you have been given good good guidance there from experts.

I assume that all gearboxes must involve extremes of pressures at the tooth interfaces. My understanding is that the detrimental properties of conventional EP oil are an unfortunate side-effect of the compounds used.

If they have developed oils with some extreme pressure benefits and which don't degrade brass components, who would avoid using them?

Lubrication occurs at a molecular level and viscosity, measured cold is more relevant to our concerns about leakage. The viscosity you mention sounds just right for the purpose, on balance, and I can see why you're going for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: