classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Allard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
z5roadster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Allard Reply with quote

Hello, I'm trying to collate history on an Allard M1 made to order in 1947, yes sorry 68 years ago. Made for a Southern Rhodesian resident and delivered in 1948 in maroon, after a couple of years it was sold on to Dick Judge a Rhodesian speed merchant that died at the wheel of a Mercedes 300SL. William Rowlinson Carter a BBC war correspondent bought it from Judge's estate and after UDI it came back to the UK in 1979, neglected and unused, park in the open it was sold to an American in 1985. It was given a mild restoration and in the 90's used to point the Parade Lap of the Allard Extravaganza with Tom Lush at the wheel, at Laguna Seca racetrack. At some time it was resprayed to white or very light blue.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

If you lived in the Hammersmith area between 79/85 you may have seen the M1 parked in the drive
z5roadster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give me information on this Horn Button I know it's Joseph Lucas but I'm struggling to find one, fitted late 40's and I can't believe they were only used on Allards. Would take the complete wheel to get the bits I need.

Thanks for looking.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steering wheel itself looks like a Bluemels Brooklands, is that correct?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
z5roadster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick, your right, I gave John Kimble a call, he makes them from the original tooling in South Devon but he had no idea where I might find one.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

The trouble is that you are looking for a fairly common car (more parts around) that has an adjustable steering column in around the late 30s to late 40s period. Cars with non-adjustable wheels tend to have much smaller diameter manettes.

One thinks of Rovers, Rileys, Wolseleys, Triumphs but I don't think any of these used exactly the same manettes are you are looking for.

Peter

z5roadster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, thank you for your input, I have feedback that it's not Running board Rovers or P series and Triumph TR2/3's so I can try MG, Riley, Wolseley, Standard and possibly commercials. perhaps I need a copy of Tom Lush's Allard "The inside story". This button assembly is an engineers nightmare therefore it's not something that can be cobbled together.

Took a trip through your webpage, very nice. Thank you

z5roadster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to say that a horn assembly complete has been found in California, not cheap but another part to bring the Allard back to live. While trying to find out more, the gentleman that purchased it in 1985 was the late Tom Turner of the Allard Register . I mentioned earier that Tom Lush pointed the parade lap at Laguna Seca racetrack in the early 90's, well I found a video clip of the paddock walk with a minute on this car 3.40 to 4.42 is the relavant part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9td-M8SBtSw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: