classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1974 Merc. 8000 Miles from new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Billf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: 1974 Merc. 8000 Miles from new. Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-280S-Just-8000-Miles-From-NEW-Stunning-/141461597635?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20efc4adc3

What do you think.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few cars advertised with low millage; a few years ago there was a Stag that had only done 600 miles from new , never registered. Apparently once a year it was taken out of it's dry storage and one nice summers day and driven 12 miles round a private estate; it looks fantastic, but what do you do with it? Put it in a museum? Trailer it round to shows? Once someone starts to drive it the millage goes up parts will have to be replaced, it looses the uniqueness.

Dave
Billf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was bought and stuffed in a garage for 20 years. What would it be worth then. Or buy it and enjoy. As you say it is unique at the moment. I wonder how many of these there are knocking about in this condition.

There is one for sale over here. http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=21382.

But it might be an ex Taxi. and have a million miles on the clock. This car was for sale last year. Not too bad at £5500.00
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low mileage cars are a liability unless they are priced to use or you want to put pit in a museum.

Peter
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1980 I had a very wealthy client who, having no idea what to do, bought his wife a 450SL for Xmas. She took one look at it and told him it was stupid, and she preferred her Chevette to go shopping in. And so the war commenced; he said he couldn't sell it because it was hers, and she replied that he'd bought it and he should take it back to the dealer. Stalemate continued for 17 years, with the car on blocks in the heated garage and started once a month by the handiman, who also greased it once a year. For years I tried to buy it, and it was always the same - no way to break the deadlock until he died. It was then taken back to the dealers and had it's first free service with 478 miles on the clock.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the look of the Merc but I wouldn't buy a left hooker.

As it happens, low mileage does not necessarily mean a good car. I remember when we had the garage, my Dad and I went to see a very low mileage Mk1 Ford Cortina that had been kept in a lock up for many years. First impressions were good with not a mark on the body and a spotless interior.

Then Dad opened the bonnet and started bouncing the front of the car up and down. I thought he was testing the shockers but I soon realised what he was doing when one of the struts came up through. The other side wasn't far behind.

The car was rotten as a pear. Shame really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: