classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bradford van starter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
manorfolk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Bradford van starter Reply with quote

Evening all. Had a very rattly starter motor on my 1949 Bradford van so released the top two of three bolts holding it onto the gearbox. The third, bottom bolt, was already hanging off because not only had the cast iron lug snapped off the starter: also there is a gaping 3mm split running fore and aft in the ( ally ) gearbox housing for the motor. Looks like the box will need to come out so it can be welded on the outside of this aperture (about 2" long).
Wondered how much I could expect to pay for this - or would it be a good opportunity to learn how to weld ally (I'm fairly proficient with mild steel).
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter motor mounting on the CA and CB Bradford left something to be desired. Poor starter ring gear teeth or a loose starter usually leads to a broken gear box casing. In their era that is why many Bradfords ended up being started on the handle - often a good solution today if you are on 6v. (I am!)

Do you need a gearbox casing?

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: