classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Decoking with water....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Decoking with water.... Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post this for general consumption.

My Alvis TA14 used to run on really badly on switch off. It'd just keep chugging and turning over for anything up to twenty secondes, sometimes with nice big nasty sounding bang before running in reverse! I'd faced up to the taking the head off but thought I'd try the chemical approach. Spent a money on all sorts , including some expensive American stuff in a red and white can.....can't rememeber what it's called. It made a small improvement ...but..not good enough.

Then I read a post somewhere about water!!! The thinking was this...when you take the head off a motor that's blown a head gasket between the jacket and a cylinder, it's obvious the moment the head comes off where the leak is...it's the pot with the sparkly clean piston crown. Nicely cleaned by coolant vapourising as steam and cleaning the head / piston.

So....I took the aircleaner off, ran her up till warm...and started spraying water straight down the carb with a domestic sprayer ( old bathroom cleaner I think ) ... slowly at first...

The engine slows a little with each spray, but set the tickover high and it keeps running, there are no horrible noises and all seems well. After about twenty minutes or so, and probably TWO litres of water....switch off....and...no run on!

Never ran on again.....Intersetingly a check revealed that the valve clearences had changed, having reset them, the car ran like a dream thereafter.

So, ther ya go.....it worked for me!
Lanchester 1953

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried many things over the years but never water, I have tried brake fluid , redex of course and transmission fluid. I will try water one day now!
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I worked with in Toronto had previously been employed by the Toronto Transit. He said this this was a procedure they used regularly on their buses as part of their maintenance program.

Art
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, has anyone else tried this (with water or otherwise)? and were the results encouraging?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose what you are actually doing is steam cleaning ?
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a possibility that the material removed from the area may find its way between the piston and cylinder walls ?

Would be an interesting before and after exercise.

I just looked up endoscope cameras with LED on Amazon. (Canada). Not very expensive has anyone tried one.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long ago I did try water injection but didn't think the power improvement justified the addition stuff but using it for decoke sounds interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_%28engine%29

Peter
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a simple and effective solution to the problem with one of my cars.

Incidentally I remember in the 1950's here in Australia, that water injection units were very popular for a while and hundreds of them were sold. Many many were bought by motoring enthusiasts in the hope of improved performance. Some worked well, others not so well. I wonder where they all went?
Lanchester 1953

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
Is there a possibility that the material removed from the area may find its way between the piston and cylinder walls ?

Would be an interesting before and after exercise.

I just looked up endoscope cameras with LED on Amazon. (Canada). Not very expensive has anyone tried one.
yes, "Get an Endoscope and look up an old friend!"
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a P5 with a leaky head gasket for a thousand odd miles and the spark plug rusted up overnight and needed cleaning regularly. The valves and piston crown were clean - the other 5 were not when I replaced the gasket
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution. Water ingested into the combustion chamber is the biggest cause of bent con rods. Water, unlike fuel/air mixture will not compress so if you over do it, you could place undue strain on engine components.

Just saying... Cool
trampintransit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ...absolutely, but I was just spraying in a mist , one pump at a time. If you think about it , the speed the engine is doing, each pump of the spray is not even entering a single cylinder, the pump action lasts about 3/4 of a second, enough time at a fast tickover for that mist to be divided up over all four pots.
It was kinda obvious whilst doing it ...I could tell how far to go...
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very aged instructor who taught me about construction plant said that he noticed how his equally aged car ran better when the day was misty or foggy, he mounted a water spray into the inlet manifold and noticed an improvement in running and performance.

Water methanol was injected into the engines of the old Argosy's I worked on care of H.M.t.Q back in the sixties.

Cheers, Tony.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
We have had discussions about water injection before.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=35944&highlight=water+injection#35944

THis HHO thread was about hydrogen generators originally but it did migrate over to water injection as well

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5544&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hho&start=0

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: