classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Another Aussie Tour. Part 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Another Aussie Tour. Part 1 Reply with quote

Over the weekend of the 18th and 19th of April, my wife and I enjoyed, firstly an historic automobile rally details of which can be found here-

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17191

and as well an opportunity to look around the towns of Cooma and Adaminaby.

Cooma is set at over 2,500 feet above sea level, therefore quite cold in winter, and is the center of a vast agricultural area where sheep predominate. However Cooma was also the nearest rail head for the famous Snowy Mountains Scheme, which from 1949 worked to dam rivers and pipe the water through mountains to generate hydro-electricity, as well as provide water for inland irrigation. Alas the railway is now closed but during the life of the Snowy scheme, it was very very busy.

The rally took place on Saturday, with the lunch stop at Adaminaby. In that town there is a magnificent museum called The Snowy Scheme Museum. It houses lots of interesting items and includes those in the following pictures.

It is interesting to note that at one time, the Snowy Mountains Authority owned the largest number of Land Rovers of any other organisation in the world. Not all of them stayed upright!

The museum also displays some clever period cartoons-

On Sunday my wife and I opted to have a quiet day, so looked around Cooma itself. There is a very clever WW1 diorama as part of the War Memorial.

Some magnificent buildings, like the court house.

The Railway Station is now in the good hands of a preservation society.

In Part 2 I'll tell about a wonderful drive through the mountains.

Part 2 can now be found here-

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17196

Last edited by roverdriver on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:33 am; edited 2 times in total
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All looks good Dane. I especially liked the cartoons.

Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: