classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Safety shoes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Safety shoes? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a source of reasonable quality safety shoes to wear around the house / garage? Preferably mail order. Not boots - I want something that can be left loosely laced and used as a slip on. Had two pairs from Screwfix in the last year, in both £20 and £40 flavours, that have fallen apart and gone back, and the last few pairs I had from market stalls were no better. If there are any shops within a reasonable distance that do a shoe with a steel toe (boots are available everywhere, but too much of a faff) I'm ignorant of them, and in any case who's to say the quality would be any better. The £40 ones from Screwfix were particularly annoying - the foam/fabric insole disintegrated in a couple of days, the pink cardboard below that failed inside a fortnight then the plastic sole started to peel off soon after that, just another load of cheap chinky rubbish. Call me an old luddite if you like, but I don't think cardboard of any colour is a suitable material for manufacturing footwear from Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I bought a pair from a shop in Gloucester when I was 16 that lasted me a good 5 years or so of daily use, so I don't think it's anything I'm doing wrong. Once again I despair of the quality of manufactured goods these days... Rolling Eyes
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my customers is a shoe manufacturer; you wont get anything in the UK that costs less than £100 that's not made in the east these days, They moved production from the UK to there about 5 years ago, and reckon the quality is the same but production costs significantly lower.
I have some Doc Martin safety trainers , cost about £70, which is probably what you need to pay for comfortable quality stuff, had them for about 5 years and they are still good, but generally only get worn at weekends.

I also have a pair of slip on safety ankle boots that came from Aldi for around £15...bought them as I was going to be stepping in concrete for a week in India, they got really abused but hosed down each day without any ill effect and have since been used for jobs where I suspected they may well be binned at the end of the job, however they are still going strong, but are and allays have been really uncomfortable!

Don't by on line! you can't buy shoes without trying them on Smile

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
They moved production from the UK to there about 5 years ago, and reckon the quality is the same...

Not the ones I've tried! But then, they would say that, wouldn't they - so long as most people lose the receipts and it doesn't hurt their bottom line...

ukdave2002 wrote:

Don't by on line! you can't buy shoes without trying them on Smile
Dave

Doesn't make much difference to me, my feet are an odd shape and none of the standard sized stuff is going to be comfortable in any case. Had some boot clogs made up to suit a while back which are great (first time in my life I put something on my feet which actually fits) but apparently there's some beurocratic nonsense that stops them doing the sort of thing I want with a steel toe - can't get exactly the right specification leather or somesuch. I'm going to get some more for knocking around in anyway, but still feel the need of steel toes for garage work.
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pair of Doc Martin steel toecap shoes which must be at least ten years old, although admittedly they haven't had a hard life. I think they are still available for around £60...

edit: Here you are:

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Protec/Personal-Protective-Equipment-(PPE)/Safety-Footwear/Dr-Martens-Safety-Footwear/Dr-Martens-Icon-2216-PW-Shoe---SB/p/13711001?utm_source=Protec&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=COvS5vvQrcUCFQLlwgodl3IAzQ
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Martin wearer here too, both in the garage/garden and during site visits.
Go find a local Arco branch and have a mooch.

http://www.arco.co.uk/

Kev
Penguin45

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Arco.

P45.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will check them out.
ka

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DM shoes are comfy and worn most days, but a tad heavy.

Better three than four.
alanb

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pair of "dickies" safety shoes I bought about 7 years or so ago, they still look good although I haven't worn them for a while, they were only about £30 from the local builders/ironmongery store.

Morris 8 two seater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: