classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Singer Super Ten
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Singer Super Ten Reply with quote

A little while back I was asked for advise regarding a 1939 Singer Super Ten that was found in a barn in the village. The engine was rusted solid and when the chap took it apart it was awful, he was quoted about £2-3k to rebuild the engine and as a result was completely put off.

I think it may be coming available so of course I would be interested. The only stumbling block is the engine, my thought would be to find a replacement?

Anyone out there know of an available repairable engine?
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know anything about the Singer Super 10 engine, but a quote of £2 -3K sounds a bit like "we can't be bothered". If you are prepared and knowledgeable enough to manage the project and do the assembly I am sure that an engine rebuild should be achievable at less than £2K bearing in mind that the contractor was probably going to charge over £50 an hour to do it. Personally, if I liked it I would buy it and then work out what to do next. The suggested engine rebuild cost ought to deflate its asking price satisfactorily!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the high quote, but that's from professionals. We could do it ourselves and it would just cost the parts and no labour.

I think with the high quote in the chaps mind he would drop quite a bit on the cars price.
ka

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All may not be lost, I picked up an unused ex RAF glider towing engine that had been stationary from being reconditioned for many years.
When I stripped it, a good clean, hone the bores, and free up the rings, as good as the day it came from the factory.The crank had been sat in oil, so the bearing faces were as new, and the white metal/shells were as new.
I would suggest that the main thing to seize, particularly if head or plug-less would be the pistons and bores.

Better three than four.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a while since I saw the engine and unfortunately they had stripped most of it. From memory all internals were very rusty and pistons rusted seized.

Next move I think will be to ask to have a good look at it so I have a good idea of what's involved.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could an engine from a similar, but more commonly-found, model be made to fit - say from a Singer 9 Roadster?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I do recall was that the block seemed rather small in comparison to my Minx engine, I do think they are around the same cc though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: