classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

80th ANNIVERSARY OF INTRODUCTION OF DRIVING TEST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my test well because I failed - the first one at least. It was in Wells, Somerset and I was in the driving school's Morris 1100. Apparently I didn't display enough caution going across an unmarked junction in a housing estate.

I mentioned this to my instructor and we appealed against the 'fail' (the junction had no signs, no road markings and I had slowed before proceeding) but the decision stood.

On my second attempt, same car, same place and - to my horror - same examiner, I stalled at a junction, 'fluffed' a gear change but passed! My instructor drove me home, he reckoned I was a bit 'hyper'...

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1985 I have been a member of the I.A.M. (Institute of Advanced Motorists). I would suggest that the basic driving test, although significantly extended now, is still just the starting point.

Even if one passes the advanced driving test, there is further refinement because the I.A.M. have recently introduced a "masters" programme.
http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/masters
Rdover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Since 1985 I have been a member of the I.A.M. (Institute of Advanced Motorists). I would suggest that the basic driving test, although significantly extended now, is still just the starting point.

Even if one passes the advanced driving test, there is further refinement because the I.A.M. have recently introduced a "masters" programme.
http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/masters

A year ago I started driving duties with a local charity based along the lines of Blood Bikes. Called Lifesavers Scotland (www.lifesaversscotland.org), it provides an out of hours transport service for the NHS to save them using taxis. It's especially useful for the many urgent and very urgent movement of samples, blood and tissue samples as well as staff and organ transport. Bear with me I'm getting to the point ....

To be a Service Provider one has to have an advanced driving qualification (for the vehicle concerned - bike or car) and then pass an assessment and finally pass the Charity's own 'blue light' driving course which is handled by ex Fire & Rescue trainers.

With getting on for 20 of us, the conversation often turns to our 'advanced' experience and with some of us having IAM test from 25 years ago to those with new IAM & RoSPA etc and without exception the opinion of the local groups is of curmudgeonly men in sports coats adhering to the most perkickety of rules and procedures in an attempt to out pedant each other. One of our guys did IAM and RoSPA at the same time and relates an argument between the various groups about the 'ideal' way to hold the gearstick knob when changing gear.

My experience is similar with one class featuring a model car cab for us to practice our procedures in class. I was pulled up for adjusting the interior rear view mirror with one hand and when I asked why one should use bopth hands I was told it was to prevent premature wear on the ball joint in the mirror. My reponse was to relate how, after 6 months of a nuts and bolts restoration of a 1965 VW Beetle where every panel, every bit of rubber, brakes, pipes, tyres etc needed either replaced or repaired I had only one part that was in perfect condition after almost 30 years .... the interior mirror. This was not met with approval!

I passed my test and never went back - I drive to IAM standards whenever possible to this day and will be teaching my daughters to that standard.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late Ted Clements was chief examiner of the I.A.M. - A good friend and far from curmudgeonly. I try not to tar everyone with the same brush...
goneps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While still only 17 I took and passed the IAM test (they objected to it being referred to as the "advanced driving test", I recall), but the subsequent BSM High Performance Course took advanced driving training to a completely different level. The instructors (they preferred to call them "co-drivers") were all ex-Police Class 1 instructors, and the cars were the sort most of us could only dream of driving—a major motivation for disbursing the not inconsiderable fee for the course. In 1969/70 the inventory included Aston Martin DBS, Jensen Interceptor, Porshe 911S, Jaguar E-Type (both 6- and 12-cylinder), and Ferrari Daytona. Some of these were available only to those members who had achieved a certain level.

The first session consisted of six hours at Brands Hatch in an Elan+2, using the track like a normal road in order to perfect positioning and the most efficient lines in complete safety, and included a couple of hours on the skid road to practise various skid control techniques. Three further three-hour public road sessions completed the basic course.

Having always been a press-on type, the highly disciplined training aimed at rapid, efficient progress suited my style much better than the IAM's somewhat defensive approach. A liberal attitude was taken towards the 70mph speed limit (the most notable example being a steady 140mph on the then-new and deserted M40 in the Jensen). Being accustomed to a Herald when I took the first stages of the course, the lasting impression of first driving the automatic Jensen in London was that of spending about 80% of the time riding the brakes, the remaining time spent gently caressing the accelerator.

The disciplined and efficient techniques learned and honed on the HPC have served me well ever since, as have the fond memories of driving a good selection of the high-performance cars of the day.

Richard
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not a complete solution for good driving I think there is a lot to said for teaching yourself to drive without using the brakes regardless of whether you are overtaking every other vehicle on the road or driving slowly.

Peter
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and have always tried to and to use the gears to down unless in the Rover with the freewheel. I am told that using the gears is wrong by modern DI's however that is what the brakes are for
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key things about not using the brakes are that you are always correctly anticipating what is ahead of you and simply lifting off the accelerator in good time to avoid stopping at roundabouts and avoid getting too close to vehicles in front that are in rapid off/on mode. Shutting the throttle in modern cars means you have totally shut off the fuel supply but using brakes you are very definitely just burning fuel to heat the environment.

You can't always avoid a little braking but if you always try to minimise it then I think you are doing the right thing.

Peter
peppiB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was criticised by a bus driver friend for using gears instead of brakes. When I learned to drive half a century ago on a serries II Morris Minor, one had to use the gears to slow down as the brakes weren't that effective.

Never driven a 'modern'.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember on my Test in the 100E that the examiner said, rather euphemistically, "slow down and drive as slowly as you can". Not being entirely sure of his instruction, I slowed and stopped then set off slowly in first. Apparently what had been expected of me was to slow the car to the point where I could select first gear while still moving.

Having been admonished by the examiner for not paying attention to his request, I replied that I had been learning to drive in a new BSM Vauxhall Viva with full synchromesh but this old Ford belonged to my Father who had explained that as the gearbox did not have synchromesh on first gear, I would be better advised to stop and put it into first until I had become more proficient with gear changing in an older car.

The examiner fortunately accepted this reasoning and gave me a short lecture about double de clutching.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I joined my current firm, a 2 day defensive driving course was mandated for all company car drivers. This was not HR imposing the right thing, it simply reduced our group insurance costs!

We were instructed by ex police instructors; simple things like getting in the best position on the road to get optimum visibiaty round a bend, not assuming that a green light means you can just plough through; "watch for the driver who has just had a heart attack" was what the instructers said each time we went through traffic lights, and "don't put the meat in the sandwich" on motorways; meaning never get in a position where you haven't got an escape route. I still hear his words some 25 years later.

One odd thing was using the horn as it was intended, as an audible warning rather than something that's used in anger ! So the hoot was allways followed with a friendly wave to take any heat out of the situation.

Exiting stuff like controlling skids was a very small part of the course Confused

I passed my driving test on the day that Kevin Keegan played his last game for England Sad I think me and the driving examiner spent most of the test talking about the game with Spain that was due later, sadly it was a draw and we were out of the World Cup, I recall me and my mates decided to celibrate my pass and drown our sorrows in one go! I think it was a Monday so a "school day" but when you are 17 it's probably only the 2nd or 3rd World Cup you take a real interest in .Smile

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I remember on my Test in the 100E that the examiner said, rather euphemistically, "slow down and drive as slowly as you can".

This must have been one of the examiner bees in bonnet at the time. I sat my car test in my big sister's 100E Prefect but I took a couple of lessons before taking the test (I already had a motorcycle licence) and my instructor specifically said that I should at some appropriate time double declutch into first and suggested at a slight uphill approaching a junction to make it slightly easier. I did this successfully and passed the test.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my Dad had visions of me practicing double de clutching and trashing the 100E gearbox. He probably had enough on his plate at the time without having to replace that as well!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I think my Dad had visions of me practicing double de clutching and trashing the 100E gearbox. He probably had enough on his plate at the time without having to replace that as well!

My dad gave first my mum driving lessons in the 70's , he taught her to change gear by double de clutching ? In her first lesson with proper driving instructor , the instructer asked "why she was changing gear like a racing driver ? " she gave my dad grief as by those days it was all synchro mesh Smile

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husband teaching wife = recipe for disaster Razz

When Dad told Mum to "let the clutch in" she would say "it is in" . She thought pressing the pedal "IN" was the same as letting the clutch in.

After one particularly fraught lesson, she turned into our drive and missed. The Morris 8 knocked down all the fence posts between our house and next door. The two drives were on different levels so eventually the car grounded in the middle. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: