classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Prefect windscreen wipers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Ford Prefect windscreen wipers Reply with quote

Hullo all,
as i said in my last post on the Prefect restoration having trouble with the wipers on the PREFECT. Although I have stripped motor and cleaned and reassmbled it still won't drive the wiper arms and blades on the screen. the shafts rotate OK when the arms are lifted off the screen but are very reluctant to move on screen even when water is sprayed. I have tried connecting manifold direct to wiper motor,bypassing tank and valve system, and wiper motor to Henry vacuum cleaner, still operates in the same lacklustre way. Bought original type blades and arms, still no go. Small Ford Spares have no motors of this type, so don't really know where to go now. any one out there know where I can get this unit serviced or replaced please. or any help as to otherwise solving this would be appreciated.
regards
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what type you need but there are several listed on eBay at around £20. There are also some service kits.

Morris 8 two seater
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

If you have a modern car with a vacuum system (for operating turbo or EGR etc) you could possibly
check whether your problem was faulty vacuum motors or inadequate vacuum.

Peter
ka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in most mechanical maladies, the best way to determine the fault, is to repair/replace one item at once. I am assuming you have checked the air tightness of the plenum chamber etc, which should be kept when you finally reassemble.
It sounds as though you have sorted the problem with Henry's help, and your wiper motor has got to the end of the road. As suggested, repair/replace, but have you considered an upgrade to a motor, the Land-Rover style wiper motor, or alternative will provide a reliable replacement?

Better three than four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: