classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin A90 Westminster Brake Problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Penguin45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Austin A90 Westminster Brake Problem. Reply with quote

Here's one to ponder. This is an on-going restoration by a friend of mine. The brakes initially didn't work at all, so all four front and both rear cylinders have been replaced, all hoses and pipework have been replaced. The master cylinder has been replaced, apparently by a brand new Land Rover one, which is identical to the original, apparently. A Lockheed-type servo has been added. Single circuit system, obviously.

When the brakes are initially applied, the rear wheels lock. A second application of the pedal and things behave normally. Obviously, too much fluid is being sent to the rear initially - but why? There is no proportioning valve.

P45.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some fairly simple rules when I meet such challenges:
1. What has changed? In this case the servo, so isolate it and see if the problem persists or the master cylinder - just because it looks the same it may not be the same - bore size etc
2. What could I have got wrong? brake shoes on the wrong way round? return springs incorrectly fitted etc. bearing in mind that the brakes did not work so reassembling things as they were dismantled is not guaranteed to be correct.
Good luck!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a governing valve, the front / rear brake distribution is governed by the cylinder bore size, I'd echo Paul's comment and check that the MC and wheel cylinders all have the correct bore's.

Cheers

Dave
Penguin45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dug out the Girling tech specs and worked out what he should have and sent it to him to check up on.

Thanks for ideas so far.

P45.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: