classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 E series master cylinder alternative
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
hunsta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 E series master cylinder alternative Reply with quote

Gday all. As living in Australia. original Morris 8 parts or suppliers are pretty much non existent. Ive found a few Master cylinders on Ebay and they go for well over AU$500 plus postage. Which in my point of view is extortion to say the least.
So has anyone found an alternative for the original MC? The one I have Ive put a kit through, but it was fairly pitted and I don't think it will seal. Even after honing it.
With the way the peddles are set up I cant see how one could adapt another MC, but Im open to suggestion.
If however there is no alternatives, has anyone got a decent MC they`d like to part with?
Cheers
Craig
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised if there is not someone in Australia offering a recon service including stainless steel lining of the bore. In the UK Past Parts do this - check out www.pastparts.co.uk They claim to have been trained in the technique by someone from Australia!
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Paul has said, there must be a number of reconditioners on your side of the ditch who can stainless sleeve the cylinder. It wouldn't be that hard to do it yourself, if you had a friend with a lathe who could bore out the cylinder and make a sleeve to be pressed in. You can either unsolder the cylinder from the reservoir to do this and re-drill the orifices afterwards, or take the easy way out and drill through the bottom of the can, soldering up that hole when done.

The m/c and all slave cylinders of my Eight were sleeved by a local outfit almost 20 years ago and are still as good as new. In my experience there's far more of an issue with the tin reservoir/can rusting through.

The other alternative is that I'd expect the regional Morris Registers to hold spares of such items. Both the major NZ Morris clubs have spares sheds with extensive stocks of used and reconditioned spares. You do belong to such a club, of course?

Richard
hunsta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I had thought of re-sleeving, but live in a regional area. And good operators are few and far between out here in the sticks. Guess Ill have to look harder.
And sorry no Goneps, I dont belong to any clubs.
Cheers
Craig
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Repco can send such units off for reconditioning. There is a Repco in Gympie, it could well be worth contacting them.
goneps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google <"brake cylinder sleeving" queensland>. Several options there.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: