classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

glass tutorial
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Jublybug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: glass tutorial Reply with quote

Has any body got a glass tutorial ,or any info on replacing window glass ,are there company's that would undertake it for me? , I've got two broken and two in perspex that need redoing in glass ,in a earlyer thread I found the seals I need so I'm ready for glass

Thanks for your help in advance

Jim
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is ordinary window glass, a glass merchant will cut new glass to pattern. You could use the perspex as a pattern. Take the frame and glass-to-frame gasket along as well to help determine thickness of glass required.
If the glass is in an aluminium frame, it splits somewhere and the joint is usually at either side of the top straight bit, assuming you have curved lower window frame edges. Usually screws into an internal L-shaped bracket, but sometimes pop rivets. Not hard to split usually.
ka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a windscreen made for me from a cardboard pattern at the local double glazing company. Flat glass only, but a nice laminated screen, with holes drilled for the wiper.

Better three than four.
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Jublybug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply ,the farm and plant glazier is a good tip I shall be googleing this . Il take some pics of how I get on

Jim
christine lowery

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you take your Glass Caravan window into a Glazier some times they are under the impression that they have to fit safety glass as the law changed on caravan windows in 1978 saying safety glass had to be fitted to all new caravans that's why most manufactures changed to Plastic around this date
Only New windows have to have Safety glass, it's quite correct to fit ordinary float glass to a caravan windows made before 1978
so it may be easier to say your window is out of a boat then the 1978 law doesn't apply
Christine Smile
Jublybug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip thanks
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's flat glass a local glazing company will be able supply laminated or safety glass as required, with all necessary holes.

They are not fitting it so don't have to adhere to any regulations unless you have a blonde moment and specify it Rolling Eyes

Dave
Jublybug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I just googled plant and agricultural glazier and phoned first place ,theve got sum one In my area and they gona come out and give me an idea on price and they stock the seals ,so well see how I get on and Il keep you all posted

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: