classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Carlight B&B chassis brake cables
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Chevit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Carlight B&B chassis brake cables Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have lurked for a while reading loads of good info and advice and have now registered. I recently bought a 1966 Carlight Cassetta. It needs a fair amount of work but I like to get all the odd bits together before I start on it. I am currently stuck on finding a source for the brake cables. Before I try to have one offs made, does anyone know a source or what the originals fitted if they are not perculiar to the chassis / Carlight?

Thanks for any and all ideas.

John
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all attempts to find them fails send your old ones to Speedograph Richfield. they will help you if humanly possible. I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

Paul
christine lowery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should that not be brake rods???
christine Smile
christine lowery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thomson-caravans.co.uk/advice/maintenance/bb64_73.htm

above is a user manual for B&B
DELETED

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Chevit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Dear all,

Sorry for the delay and many thanks all for your input. My '66 does have short rods which then go to cables. Exact lengths tbc but the rods are from memory roughly 8 - 10 inches long, the Bowden cables are approx 18 inch, I will confirm.

I must admit I did wonder if I could not fit rods direct from the swivel on the axle to the brakes thereby deleting the cables. I did not know that was a later system. I was thinking so long as I had a method of pulling the rods back when not in use (return springs) it should work but I prefer a tried and tested system. It seem like there may be one.

I have the axle out from under the van so I think a few photos might help. I'll post in the next day or so.

Again thanks for the input.

John
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Chevit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I can see how that would happen. How about replacing the rod element with a longer cable with Clevis fork to engage with the swivel and a stud into the brake lever?

Just running through options. I don't suppose you know the thread size in the brake lever. I have thought of an adaptor (imperial thread to metric) and then have stainless cables made at a chandlery? Or use modern caravan cables.
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
christine lowery

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/Universal_Brake_Spares.html

christine
Chevit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Thanks for advice. I get the fouling issues as I mocked up what I have left onto the axle and can see why it would not work except as it is designed. The challenge now is either to find original cables (unlikely), modify the bits to take modern cables or have replacements made. Much of my setup has been made to work over the years with a fair bit of brazing having gone on so I'm not sure how much adjustment I have left on the rods if any at all. More thought required by me. I could really do with seeing an original set up as my rods appear to be bent, one much more than the other. The question is were the originals straight or did they have any bends or deviation in them? I doubt they were as deformed as one of mine!

Thanks again

John

Last edited by Chevit on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chevit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christine,

I did drive up to Trailertek with the various parts I need to replace, shocks, damper, cables and rods but no joy. However, if I do end up making a hybrid then the page will be of use, particularly the 5/16 stuff.

Thanks

John
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Chevit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary,

No further progress on this as due to the forecast high winds and the fact the 'van was sat high on axle stands I felt it wise to throw the axle back on and move it out of the wind.

I will return to it when the cars stop demanding attention!

Cheers

John
david_rachel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

Have a look at my blog regarding the running gear of your Carlight. The Bowden Cables have a considerable set in them, so what appears to be bent may well be correct. Section 7 of the blog actually has a picture underneath my Casetta

I'm sure I also put the Monroe part number down in the blog for Carlight shock absorbers.

If you need any more help/advice just pm me and I'll give you my phone number
1978 Carlight Casetta
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Est Red
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: