classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

History you have on your car
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sad story. Sometimes its hard to imagine what the last generation went through.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Lowdrag,

The service book lists the first owner as Jaguar Cars and the registration was R367PRW. Nothing apparently special that I can see.

Art

Ah, didn't realise it was a modern! Just any old plate issued by the tax office then.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassett wrote:
Hello,I'm new on here I started a post Hillman 80 hawk when I first bought my car.After some expert info I now know it to be a hawk saloon,It has sat in the chauffeurs garage of the Bassett family(of confectionary fame) all its life.It was John Bassetts staff car ,he was Lt colonel John Bassett and all anyone in Ashover knew is that he was lost in action in ww2.He had two sisters who obviously couldn't bare to part with the car and as neither one married/had children the family died out with their passing.The chauffeurs garage and the car were then left to the late John Taylor so another owner but the car never moved ,John passed away a few years ago and myself and a mate bought it and collected it a week ago today.Only last night I read of John Bassets fate as a Japanese prisoner of war on Ballale island,500 men forced to build a runway and the 90 odd men that survived were then executed.The Japanese reported to the British government that the prisoners were lost when the ship they were being moved on was sunk.Put Ballale island in Wikipedia for the whole story if your interested.so now the cars only moved half a mile as the crow flies and is to be kept original with just over 7200 miles on the clock.Sorry to waffle on!Bry

Pictures! We need pictures!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pictures in the Hillman Hawk thread in Rootes vehicles. Nice car too.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally have tracked down some history of my Hillman Hawk, I have a document that shows the original owners and the dealership (which I did already know).

The car was registered to someone named Moore in Rudgwick, Sussex. I have done a little google research and there are a few 'Moore's' still there but I want to find the family from the 30's.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If you have, from the paperwork, a bit more detail such as an initial or first name, or a more precise address; then the 1939 register (available on Findmypast.co.uk) might be of assistance.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just a single line and the initials are hard to make out but I think it reads 'Moore MD (or MP), Rudgwick'.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind tracking through lots of records then the deaths register can be very useful. Once you have narrowed the search down to a few possibles you can sometimes make contact with living relatives because the death certificate will have the name and address of the person notifying the death. Just guess the possible year of death.

For example here's the list of Moore deaths in Sussex in 1960.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/7579/?name=_Moore&death=1960&f-Notes=sussex

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: