classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

103e pop rear bearing renewal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: 103e pop rear bearing renewal Reply with quote

I know this topic has been covered, but not in any detail and the thread did wonder off topic somewhat. So.....I have bought the rear bearing replacement repair kit from small ford parts. The process is simple in theory, but how the heck do I get the old bearing race out of the drum without using brute force and ignorance and making a hash of the drum?

The instructions that came with the kit refers to 'welding a bar across the drum bearing' I assume to help with getting more leverage!

I don't have access to welding and wouldn't do that even if I had.

Does anyone have any ideas about getting this part out of the drum please.

Stuart
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: rear bearing repair kit and associated issues Reply with quote

I didnt get any response from my previous message, so once I stripped the hubs down I was able to tout them around to local engineers to see who might be able to have a go at pulling out the bearing sleeve from the hub. At the second location I found a guy who was able to machine a groove within the sleeve where he welded a rod across the groves and was then able to press them out from the blind side of the hub. Got 2 tons on the press, so it wasn't going to pop out without some serious effort. That's the good news....

Rebuilt one side without any issues. On the other side I heated up the inner bearing sleeve which fits over the old sleeve which remains in place on the axle. The other side simply pushed on with a final tap to get it seated right to the back.

On this side I heated it as the other one. Trouble was it stuck fast about half an inch from the back seat despite giving it a couple of thumps. Now it won't come off and won't move further on. Sugar!

At the moment I am trying to get my hands on a suitable Puller that might be study enough to get it off....I'm not holding my breath, so an option would be to remove the half shaft complete. My thoughts being, having the whole assembly on the bench might enable me to better get at the offending bearing sleeve. Worse ways I could replace the entire shaft and start agin. ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE OF DOING THIS.

Stuart&
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: