classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sandblasting outdoors safety
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
rcx822

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Sandblasting outdoors safety Reply with quote

I've done a bit of Googling but I can't find any official or sanctioned information on this. I have some large parts to sand blast, which won't fit in a cabinet.

I think that media blasting outside using proper media (not sand) and a P3 mask is safe (I think) when it comes to lung problems. But is proper media too expensive to use outside where it's immediately lost? It's £1.80 per kilo at Machine Mart. Maybe if the media is bulk purchased then it's more reasonable.

With regular sharp sand, is there any way to use it safely? Or does that require a "forced ventilation" mask? And if so, then what does a forced ventilation mask run off? I've seen the mask itself costs £200, but then hose and something to connect it to is needed.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 'pot' blaster thinking I would be able to tackle bigger jobs...there are a few challenges; it is slow work and creates a hell of a mess! If you can live with this, then there are a multitude of different sorts of media depending on how aggressively you want to blast, normaly sold in 25kg sacks and far cheaper than MM. There is no need for an air fed mask as the media is not toxic.

In the end I gave up using the pot blaster and take panels down to a local firm, who charge about £30 to blast a wing and from memory £100 to blast a Morris 8 SE chassis. They use a huge desiel driven compressor and work in a sealed room where the media can be swept up and reused.

If you do use sand or any other media for that matter, it must be bone dry, otherwise you will spend more time unblocking the gun than actual blasting!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by ukdave2002 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a fair bit of outdoor blasting using ordinary building sand dried in an equally ordinary gas oven... I reckon you're safe enough with a fairly basic mask (and goggles), the trick is to choose a good breezy day and make sure you stand upwind of the work. You do need a hell of a lot more media (of whatever type) than you would think though, so it's best to get off as much as you can using wire brushes or chemical treatments first. Open blasting, to my mind, is very much a last resort.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought myself a blasting cabinet for small stuff, and a biggish unit for blasting larger items outside. As Dave mentions, it makes an awful mess everywhere. I sold them both in the end, I also use the local blasting company for any jobs I need doing. The other consideration is keeping the media damp-free when not in use, otherwise it clogs up the nozzle quite quickly.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience matches those who've already commented. In my case it was just a matter of doing the parts of four brake drums where the rotary wire brushes on the grinder wouldn't reach. Couldn't believe how fast it chewed through the grit, or how much of it rebounded and hit me in the face, so a decent pair of safety glasses is essential. It's extremely wasteful and frankly impractical (and uneconomic) for all but the occasional small job.

Richard
Da Tow'd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a stinky "cat sprayed" huge 6 man Nylon tent at a garage sale for $10.
When I use it we hang it from my overhead beam in my shop and with the screen door and "windows" the air comes out but the sand stays in . I bought a well used diesel jack hammer air compressor from a tool rental place . So I have plenty of air.
It is big enough to get anything through the zippered door.
It doesn't smell like cat pee anymore.
I bought a few bags of fine sand blasting sand and ground up walnut shells.
Strain the big chunks and reuse.
Hank
rcx822

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the tent technique but the tent just ballooned up. Maybe bigger tent and big vents are needed.

So maybe the way to go is tent, safe blasting media, and a P3 mask? P3 mask is one of the higher grade dust masks, that uses decent filters and rubber seal to your face.

Appreciate people are getting their bits professionally sand blasted, though the local places here have minimum charge. But they will also zinc plate parts within the £60 minimum charge which is good.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make sure you use the correct mask!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/lung-disease/silicosis.htm

Kev
michael1703

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a blasting cabinet and used kiln dried sand and found that my blasted parts rusted very quickly

The moisture in the sand gets into the work piece

I've found garnet is good for heavily rusted items, I got mine from scangrit

http://www.scangrit.co.uk
Kenham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is usually the moisture in the compressed air that causes the rusting so try cooling the air (I use steel pipe through a tank of water} then through a moisture trap to extract the water. The harder the compressor works the hotter the air gets and makes more moisture. I usually blast things outside on a big sheet so you can reuse the sand two or three times, usually cuts better the second time. Don't ever use a sand blaster without the proper air fed helmet, you will regret it later. You only have two eyes and one face you really need to keep them. I have seen someone blast their hand , not a pretty sight, from skin to bone in a fraction of a second. When the sand leaves the nozzle it is going quickly , its still going quickly when it comes back at you, safety goggles and glasses will be as much good as an ashtray on a motorcycle. Ken
rcx822

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham, the big sheet is also a good idea. I wanted to sandblast some bits "in situ" on my car so that solves that.

With air fed masks, the masks themselves are £200. But I haven't yet looked at what they need to connect to on the other end and what costs are involved on that end.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a large plastic bag with some success - stick a door or something like it in the bag, hands in the bag, pegs to hold the end reasonably closed, and blast by feel with regular checks to see you're in the right place. I use silica-free glass grit that I got from eBay.

I'm having some trouble with it at the moment, but not related to the bag. It's a big bag that a mate got a hardtop in. I use a fairly basic mask, but because the grit is all kept inside the bag there's virtually no media or rusty dust escaping. Originally I had a pipe as a vent / exhaust into a bucket, but there's enough small holes in the bag now that it doesn't inflate.
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about this dry ice blasting?

https://youtu.be/ZrHchu1tNyc
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also soda blasting, of course (bicarbonate of soda). My guess is that a lot of grunt is needed for these media to be effective, and that for the relatively modest capabilities of most home equipment more abrasive materials such as sand and garnet would give a better and faster result.

Richard
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the air fed helmets are not cheap but a lot cheaper than plastic surgery or silicosis. I picked all my kit up second hand you just have to keep looking.The helmet is air fed from the compressor via a filter, a friend of mine uses a small electric compressor just to feed the helmet to get maximum from his main compressor, make sure if the compressor is engine powered that fumes do not enter the air intake. Even at a couple of hundred pounds it would not take many trips to a blasting firm to say goodbye to that much money. Ask at a local firm if they have an old helmet going cheap perhaps. My compressor is a big four cylinder diesel thing but even that won't run the blast pot at maximum cfm , its hard and expensive work to make a lot of compressed air even though the main ingredient is free!
ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: