classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 Series "E" engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Surging Morris 8 engine Reply with quote

Have you checked the auto advance weights under the bse plate of the distributer for freedom of movement and lubricated with thin oil. The weights can be rusty or stick and cause problems.
Ralphg

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I did check that the fuel gauge is now working properly, put 5 litres in and it showed about ¼ full then added a further 10 litres and it came up to above the ½ mark so that seems to be in order. The new wiring that was done seems to be in really good order, thanks to whoever did it.

I'll have a closer look at the weights in the distributor, had done so at the outset and made sure they were free but perhaps they need a drop of oil to make sure they "float" properly. I still think that the coil may be part of the problem so will not deviate from that till I've replaced it. There is a local chap that thinks he may have one but this also may be faulty.

I have just sorted out the large amount of play in the steering by removing some of the shims and that seems to have done the trick, but will not really be able to find that out till I drive the car again. There is still some play at the bottom end of the sector shaft. Whilst doing this I've made and put back the splash plates that were missing.

Little steps and I'll get there.
Ralph.
Laughing Laughing
Ralphg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

After a lot of messing round with other things I've now found that the valves on 2 & 3 are the culprit giving a very low compression, so have ordered the necessary gaskets from Ian Harris and will strip the engine as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

Thanks for all the info and help with this nasty little monster, but it will be sorted by Xmas!!

Ralph.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I well remember replacing and lapping in valves in my Series E many years ago. I lived in a suburban flat (actually a third of an old house) with no off street parking.

I simply parked in front on the street, jacked the left hand side and removed the front wheel to gain access to the under the mudguard trapdoor, then proceeding to remove the head, open the tappet chest and get the job done.

Ahh, memories!
Ralphg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Hi all Well many months later and lots of toing and froing, some strong words, I've discovered that the rings on my car are suspect as even with all sorts of compression tests, they were all well down on any sort of reasonable level. Valves have all be lapped in nicely and set right. Finally have been told by a local fundi that I'd just better accept the fact and get the engine out an do the job properly. Next step - remove engine - any useful tips out there?? Should I just take the engine out by itself or whip out the gearbox as well as a single unit?? Ralph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: