classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lanchester Ld 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Lanchester Ld 10 Reply with quote

So my new toy arrived today

Its a Lanchester Ld10. officially registered in 1951 although the chassis number is a very early one around 1946. it would appear it spent a few years at the Lanchester works and the body was fitted at end of production but no one knows why. The previous owner had it for 37 years the last ten spent in a barn. He fetched it out the barn washed it, did plugs and points, fresh oil and fuel, a new battery and it runs. It has a Wilson pre-select gearbox Confused It is ally bodied from the firewall back. It needs new tyres and further recommissioning before its ready for the road then to decide how much, if any, restoration should be done.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks in pretty good shape. Beautiful original leatherwork. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on driving with the Wilson box.

Peter
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice motor
Tell me about the gearbox please, how does that work

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, looks to be a well-preserved survivor.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you'll not find the pre-selector box a problem. It's simple enough to drive, just requires a bit of anticipation! Basically you select the next gear you want, and then when the time comes depress the clutch - instant gear change!

Back in the 1990s my mother (in her eighties) was running two pre-war Talbots: a 1933 65 (1666cc, 50bhp) and a 1931 75 (2300cc, uprated to 90bhp).

She preferred the 65 with pre-selector to the 75 with crash box; I recall one outing when she set off in the 65 and I was delayed a moment or two in the 75 - no problem, I thought, I'll catch up easily... Huh! It took me 20 miles of pretty furious driving before she came into sight! I was impressed!
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's pretty much it with pre-select gearbox, once started select first and feed in the accelerator and off you go just like a conventional auto, you then slip the gear changer into second - nothing happens until you dip and release the pedal where the clutch is and it then changes and so on through the gears so essentially you are 'pre- selecting' the next gear you are likely to need up or down. I was surprised to find how many cars of the time, including racing cars, used this box.
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always liked these. Looks a really nice example, I look forward to following the recommissioning.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much learnt to 'drive', as they say, on a pre-selector gearbox, courtesy of London Transport!

ERA single seat racers had pre-selctor gearboxes, IIRC?

I understand, they were used because the gearboxes were 'stronger' than manual boxes....[being epicyclic?] of the time?

It was London Transport that developed the labyrinth oil seal, which made fluid flywheels a less drippy proposition?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: