classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

WHITE METAL BEARINGS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
camembert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: WHITE METAL BEARINGS Reply with quote

I have a knocking big end on the MG so I will need to get the rods re-metalled.
Who is recommended for white-metalling? I am on the Surrey / Sussex / Hampshire border.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I thought I was in your position a couple of years back I did some research and decided that Formhalls (Parkers Close, Downton Business Park, Downton, Wiltshire, SP5 3RB ) sounded very competent. I liked the guarantee that they offered on their work. I chatted to them and they seemed knowledgeable and interested and with a reasonable turnround - unlike some. That said I did not actually use them as my knock turned out to be a loose flywheel! Confused
ka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a firm in Boston, I would recommend then highly. I rebuilt the 'road' engine with the standard (although balanced) crank around 7 years ago, and oil pressure is fine even when hot.
Other engine has a ground and shelled conversion, (and balanced, big believer in balancing cranks for smoothness and longevity).

Better three than four.
exbmc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: white metal Reply with quote

I can recommend Formhalls, like Paul, I had a conversation with them, and it was obvious they knew what they were talking about.
I was involved at the time, with the overhaul of a old Spanish aero engine.
This had bronze main and big end bearings, which were worn. Formhalls had done similar work before, and recommended machining the bronze away, plus .030" of steel, then white metalling. Anyway, the owner duly delivered the crankcase, crankshaft and con rods to them. The job was done and the finished machining was very good. Apart from one slightly tight big end, which needed easing a bit, the job was a success.
For anyone interested, the aircraft is a Casa Jungmann, and the engine, a Elizalde Tigre 150 hp.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any other recommendations for companies who can do this work, preferably in the Cheshire / Staffordshire area? And some idea of the costs involved?

Although my car is from the seventies, I had lost track of how difficult it is getting to find new bearings for it, and wondered whether it will be cost-effective to simply have the existing bearings re-metalled.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Does anyone have any other recommendations for companies who can do this work, preferably in the Cheshire / Staffordshire area? And some idea of the costs involved?

Although my car is from the seventies, I had lost track of how difficult it is getting to find new bearings for it, and wondered whether it will be cost-effective to simply have the existing bearings re-metalled.

There's an engineering place at Loggerheads, the name escapes me but a quick search should bring up their details. It might be worth asking them.

Big Dodge's engine was done over in Doncaster, so not terribly local, but the Loggerheads outfit has done a few small jobs for me in the past.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradburys? Thanks, I'll get in touch. So far I've found some big ends at a reasonable price, and a set of piston rings in Cyprus.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Bradburys? Thanks, I'll get in touch. So far I've found some big ends at a reasonable price, and a set of piston rings in Cyprus.

Aye that's the place.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: White Metal Reply with quote

I used JEL bearings in York. I met the chap at Beaulieu and was able to palletise my engine, rods and pistons up to him and get them back a couple of months later with all components looking beautiful and with accurate instructions for reassembly. A great job and would definitely use them again.
http://www.jelbearings.co.uk/white-metal-bearings/
sales@jelbearings.co.uk
01904 471166
whiteair43

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: White Metal Bearings Reply with quote

John Kirkby White Metalling in Croydon.........he does all our Humber Register cars but there is plenty on his website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: