classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Paint for engine bay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
mr911er

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Paint for engine bay Reply with quote

Hi all
Now I've got the fan and shroud blasted, it's time to tidy up the rest of my engine bay. The paint is flat, and a rough textured finish, so I think the easiest way to touch up the paint is using a brush.
I have the original paint code, so. I plan to get a couple of tins and spray cans.
Jawells sell spray and paint in cellulose and 2k. What do you reckon is best for small jobs like this?
Not sure how the 2k works -do I have to mix it? All help appreciated
Kevin
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 2k it has great coverage and is easy to use, most pro painters would use it but are forced to use water based these days. 2K is mixed with an activator normally 2 parts paint, 1 part activator, there are different activators dependent on basically the temperature that paint will dry in, so assuming you don't have an oven! , ask for and "air dry activator' if it's cold you can have a " winter air dry" and then add about 10% thinners. 2K has a down side; its nasty stuff and you need to take advice from the supplier on what protection is required, I only use it with an airfed mask, but there are throw away masks these days.

I have heard of it being made in a spray can, if it's real 2k it can't be a normal,spray can as the activator needs to be introduced to the paint and then the shelf life will, only be a couple of hours, perhaps someone else has experience?

When I painted my MGA even with a completely bare shell, I still found that spray cans were useful to get into tight corners, or when you just needed to paint a small part, or the odd touch up after dealing with a run etc. So I painted the car in 2k but had a simple acrylic spray can ( basically the same stuff that you get in Halfords)

What colour is your 911? If it's Guards Red it's a pig to match the paint!

Cheers

Dave
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2k is awful stuff isn't it? You certainly need an airfed mask but you also need filtered air extractor for your spray booth. Read this http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/isocyanates.htm
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petermeachem wrote:
2k is awful stuff isn't it? You certainly need an airfed mask but you also need filtered air extractor for your spray booth. Read this http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/isocyanates.htm
sulphuric acid is "awful stuff" but we have happily had it in our batteries for years Cool likewise 2k paint requires respect but can be used perfectly safely at home..

Dave
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't inhale battery acid. If you inhale isocyanates you are damaging your health and possibly that of your neighbours. Oh and it is illegal. http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/2k--cellulose-paint-14-w.asp
peppiB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy the 2K aerosols from Jawell. Instead of having to mix the hardener, it comes complete with 1K converter already mixed in and therefore when applied air dries naturally. Once dry it behave exactly like 2k, being able to be flatted and mopped if required.
(after being conned by a 'professional' sprayer, who turned out to be Blind Pugh, I have a whole car painted in their 2k aerosol - 6 cans per coat - and it will remain like that until pennies permit a proper job)
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petermeachem wrote:
You don't inhale battery acid. If you inhale isocyanates you are damaging your health and possibly that of your neighbours. Oh and it is illegal. http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/2k--cellulose-paint-14-w.asp
hence you take the correct precautions!! as I said I will only use it with an air fed mask....its funny how all the automotive paint suppliers sell 2k in high volume...they obviously must supply a lot of films painting tractors Wink

Dave
mr911er

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments - that's a great help.

No, Dave, the 911 is light (Arctic) blue, so doesn't fade like the guards red. I've had a couple of jobs done professionally and they don't seem to have had much trouble matching the paint.

I'll get a couple of 2k cans and some separate paint, hardener and thinner to brush on. Im aware of the risks and precautions associated with isocyanates.

Regards
Kevin
peppiB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1K converter does not contain isocyanate
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor does it ever seem to go off properly, so given the experience of it, I would use cellulose if no real 2K was available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: