classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

replacement glass options
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Jublybug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: replacement glass options Reply with quote

Hello all

is there any known options for a replacement to glass? For weight saveing,I know perspex but doesn't it fade,go milky over time ? I'm trying to put the van on a bit of a diet so the poor vw motor will pull it .im also toying with a chassis upgrade to eather a more modern Alco or a custom aluminium one again to save some weight as the original b&b is made like the transporter bridge .

Thanks again jim
christine lowery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your van has glass windows then it will be 3mm and the weight saving will be minimal
look to your chassis and what you carry in the van for weight reduction
Christine Smile
Jublybug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone swaped out a chassis for weight saveing or I'm I the only nutter ? I'm planning on remaking the interior as more of a day van for classic car shows .couple of day events at most realy only spec I can find for my beetle is 600kg unbraked so this vans braked but I can get the weight down also itl help .

Jim thanks again
christine lowery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few people have changed chassis not for weight but more for rot and rust reasons you will probably have to cut the van of the old chassis and make sure the replacement has the wheels in the same place there are a lot of alko chassis available from breakers but most are larger than the old van ones so you may have to work on one first to get the dimensions right
chris
Jublybug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the info , moved the van around today to a not so perfect but new parking spot , the tow cars coming on keeps and bounds so the vans back on the back burner but I'm trying to keep progress going even if its slow going for now . Cheers jim
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of localish Steam Rallies around Northamptonshire and tow my Castleton with a 1972 Land Rover Series III. It's fair to say it's slow going to say the least, but with a planned trip to Woodlands camping site, Devil's Bridge, Aberystwyth, I thought I'd have a look at lightening the load. I took everything out of the van and only put back the bare necessities for the weekend trip. I was shocked at the amount of "Stuff" I carried and never used. Things like an Iron, 20 knives, forks and even more spoons. Umpteen spare clothes, an awning I rarely use. I was equally shocked at how much easier it was to tow with going up hills quicker and accelerating quicker without all the "Stuff" I don't need.. Wink
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when we were caravaners (and currently looking to buy another for some new adventures), we invested in some lightweight stuff, ie Deckchairs which made a difference. we also ditched the full awning for an easy erect porch one that was both lighter and easier to dry in the event of it being packed up in the rain.
As previously said, its well worth taking everything out and having a good think of what is actually needed for the trip.

Kevin
Jublybug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice people , as this vans a full build (wake fibrelight ) thread I can start a fresh on a diet , but our main family van is like that the wife likes to take almost the entire house contents on a trip . Witch I have to tho out every time

Jim
Cameron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally, the Sprite 400 Mk1/2 from 1960 was offered with either glass windows or perspex. The Mk1 was a standard caravan, the Mk2 was designed to be towed by the then new BMC Mini. To save weight, they changed the glass windows to perspex and the sprung upholstery to foam. The total weight saving for these combined over a 10ft caravan was 20kgs! Just enough to bring the kerbweight of the caravan down to 400kgs, making these very first models from 1960/61 the only Sprite 400s that ever genuinely weighed 400kgs.
The idea was a bit of a flop, and due to their unpopularity, the lightweight spec was scrapped in 1962 and the 400 carried on to be one of the best selling caravans of the 1960's and 1970's.
Jublybug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of history , thanks I'm going to look I to types of perspex to find out if there are any that don't go opaque over time or a different type of clear plastic . Hopefully the resto will be back on track soon

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: