classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Plugs & rings. for e493a prefect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Plugs & rings. for e493a prefect Reply with quote

Hullo all,
Had the Prefect out on the Ipswich Transport Ipswich Felixstowe rally on Sunday. Panhard rods have made a difference to handling, thanks Stu. Now have to make up my mind whether to do something about smoking & oil use. Recon engine hss done 36000 miles just about it, question is do I rering using standard replacement rings in appropriate size, after honing the bores or use something more exotic such as hepolite or what? Or leave it alone any advice gratefully received (pt oil 50 miles). Also on the subject of plugs tried fancy triple electrode ones of ebay misfired, so went back to old ACs that were in car when I found it. Seem to run alright but bearing in mind car was standing for over 20 years seems only right to replace them with new ones. Are NGKs any good?
All the best
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
ka

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the triple electrode plugs, but the only noticeable difference was to my wallet, I now use extended electrode NGK with no issues.
Why did sidevalve designers place the plug over the valves, when logic would say it would be better to place it over the piston in the combustion chamber?
As for rings, 36000 miles would also point to the white metal bearings getting close to their best before date, so a total recon would seem prudent, should you just decide to look to the rings, new rings will have only a short term effect, a rebore and pistons would solve the issues, and yes Hepolite are well up to the job.
As an aside, I have milled out the spark plug recesses to get the plug further down the hole, and to get the electrode out of the plug hole, and into the combustion area. A high degree of measuring and care is needed as the valves can hit the plug electrode, with the recognisable outcome. Have I noticed a difference? it seems to run smoother, but probably down to the balanced crank and SU instead of the standard carb.

Better three than four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: