classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Metalwork/rust treatment
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
AustinAllegroProject

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: dinitrol rust converter Reply with quote

I have recently started to restore my late fathers Triumph Stag that has been left in a garage for many years. With regards to getting rid of rust on panels do rust converters work? Or should you have the panels professionally sandblasted. I have noticed this rust converter spray product https://www.tiltrak.com/rust-converter/ Very Happy
rcx822

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, rust converters have low effect. When I did my restoration I tried every method, including acid and gel acid.

My favourite methods are:

DCM pro Paint stripper to remove the paint (bear in mind the stuff is not legal for home use any more).
Sand blast only the areas that are rusted - so that you are minimising risk of warping.

I also had good luck using MBX tool, which is a special tool, looks like a wire brush but uses tempered chiselled wires so gives a sand blasting effect. But it's expensive and has limited access so you still need to sand blast remaining areas.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, I haven't had much luck with rust "converters", at least not used as per the instructions. The two "go to" solutions for me are sandblasting, but if it's more than a small area it really becomes a professional job, or electrolysis which is cheap but slow and only works with stuff small enough to get into a suitable tank (cheap plastic dustbin).
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the way to get the best out of a rust converter is to sand down the surface; apply the liquid; let it dry; then sand it off.

You will be surprised to see just how much rust remains that hasn't been converted. Repeat the process again and again until no more rust appears. After final sanding down, either apply a red oxide primer and paint or apply Hammerite direct to the metal.

It is a bit long winded but it works for me.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a cheap and simple way of "converting" rust, we would all have been using it for years.

With anything more than very light surface surface rust, the corrosion really has to be physically removed.

Rust converters use should be confined to application on cleaned steel only and immediately prior to painting. As a belt and braces approach I always treat even bright steel to a lick of phosphoric acid prior to painting, you will be amazed at the dark shadows that appear after application on what looks like completely rust free steel .

Dave

Last edited by ukdave2002 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
If there was a cheap and simple way of "converting" rust, we would all have been using it for years.

If you have anything more than very light surface surface rust, the corrosion really has to be physically removed.

Rust converters use should be confined to application on cleaned steel only and immediately prior to painting. As a belt and braces approach I always treat even bright steel to a lick of phosphoric acid prior to painting, you will be amazed at the dark shadows that appear on what looks like completely rust free steel .

Dave

I couldn't agree more.

There is, of course, a cheap way of killing rust and that is good old molasses. You do need to be patient though.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by a chemist working on stopping parts of a machine from rusting that "All iron and steel tries to spend eternity returning to its natural state,(rust) the best you can hope to do is slow it down a bit".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: