classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Series 2 windscreen rubber replacement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
62rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Series 2 windscreen rubber replacement Reply with quote

Considering that I bought the rubbers for this car right after getting the car home last spring, I decided it was high time to get cracking... since the temps are in the low 90's and I haven't had my annual heat stroke yet... I took out the dash pad, "A" pillar trims, header pad, mirror and sunvisors... not wanting to risk breaking the screen, I took my time and patiently cut the outer portion of the screen rubber away. The stainless trim is present but the DPO wasn't kind to it... there are several holes drilled in it where he tried to use screws to hold it to the rubber. I could get those welded up and polished out, but they're not enormous or immediately noticeable, so, no... left the glass and the remainder of the rubber in situ tonight, need some urethane mastic and will tackle the rest of this job tomorrow. Funny thing; the existing rubber is probably original, and just beneath the surface, dried out and cracked, the rubber was still soft... except for the portion INSIDE the car, which is hard as rock... probably from 42 years of good old Southern US sunshine baking it!
62rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could have figured; I was interrupted by thunderstorms coming through the area that, oddly enough, dropped not one bit of rain. Should have finished this up yesterday.... HEY; everybody's familiar with the notorious pinchweld rust on Jaguars, right? NOPE... not a sign of the original gasket EVER having leaked, even with the outer portion all deteriorated and crusty!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: