classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

HOLLAND COACHCRAFT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ronniej

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: HOLLAND COACHCRAFT Reply with quote

When I grew up in Glasgow in the '50s these vans were a common site.
Castlebank Cleaners were a sizeable laundry and their vans were built by Holland Coachcraft who, I believe, were based in Glasgow. The vans were built on an Albion chassis which meant the chassis did not have to travel far to have the body fitted. I don't ever recall seeing a similar van belonging to other operators but I am told that Holland did build for other companies.
I recall seeing one in a scrap yard in the early'70s but I am unaware of any having survived although there was a Dinky model of one.
The radiator vents are slightly reminiscent of the Albion "sunrise" style. I wonder if this style was deliberately chosen.
Does anyone know anything about Holland Coachcraft or know of a survivor anywhere?[img]
Ronniej

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing EBay this morning (as you do!). I spotted a mint example of a Holland Coachcraft van in the livery of Collars of Wembley. (item no. 131917264090) This confirms that companies other than Castlebank had vans built by this coachbuilder.
A very attractive model but at £249.99 I may just leave it for now although I found it very tempting as the price included free postage!
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ronnie,

WS is a Leith registration. A bit strange if they were built in the west for use in the west! That said, I can't find Holland Coachcraft in either of my Edinburgh & Leith directories from the '30s or '40s.

Peter
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google: "holland coachcraft Glasgow" select images, and quite a bit of info in text.
Ronniej

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

With the house in Christmas chaos it is a relief to have a browse on the PC for a short while.
As suggested, I googled Holland Coachcraft Glasgow and found quite a lot of interest, including this in wartime garb.
It seems Hollands were based in the Govan district of Glasgow but subsequently moved to Gateshead before going out of business in 1940.
Commer and Guy chassis were used as well as Albion.
I did notice the apparent anomaly of the van in my first picture being registered in Leith. I can't think of any reason for this so we may have to dismiss it as "unexplained".
I did find pictures of these vans being used by Collars of Wembley and one carries a Glasgow registration (YS).
One post suggests that if Flash Gordon had driven a laundry van it would have been built by Holland Coachcraft!!!
I have to wonder why major companies would go to the expense of using these vans rather than the much cheaper option of buying one from a mass market builder. Perhaps they thought the distinctive van enhanced the company image?
Mikey77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Dinky originally make a Holland Coachcraft bus or some such? I seem to remember digging one up in the garden decades ago and giving it to a local collector.
Ronniej

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey77 wrote:
Didn't Dinky originally make a Holland Coachcraft bus or some such? I seem to remember digging one up in the garden decades ago and giving it to a local collector.

Yes, I believe they did but it is now in the hen's teeth category of availability.
Although I remember the Castlebank vans from my childhood it was a long time ago and I would like to see one again.
I think it is unlikely but does anyone know if an example has survived somewhere?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth sending in an email to Classic and Vintage Commercials magazine, they often get a lot of replies to questions like this.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
if you google holland coachcraft and look a the images, you will see the dinky, can't see a bus/coach though.

correction. There is a picture of he bus model but not the real tthing.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ronniej

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Might be worth sending in an email to Classic and Vintage Commercials magazine, they often get a lot of replies to questions like this.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have done that. If I get an interesting reply I will post it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: