classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ashley's 1964 Porsche 356C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Ashley's 1964 Porsche 356C Reply with quote

In response to a couple of requests I've started a thread on 356s and the one I bought some months back. I'm seventy and have sold half of the shares I had in my company and retired, so, as I think I can manage on my pension I decided to buy a classic, one I hoped would eat miles as my MK VI did, but with less cost and better appreciation. Porsche's are going crazy ATM.

I hadn't ridden in one since the sixties and have only occasionally driven Beetles and I don't like them much. I'd also been through Brit Sports cars and they're noisy and uncomfortable, or I might have been tempted to get an XK120.

Believe it or not I saw this car on EBay, it was there for a long time and re-listed twice, so I summed up courage and phoned Darrell Taylor and asked about it. He seemed a nice bloke and very straight and after some dithering I decided to buy it on his word. I was nursing a dying wife and couldn't leave home and I wasn't in great shape mentally and this seemed a good distraction. I expect you lot think I'm barmy, so did I, but to be honest it was better than the cars I inspected before purchase.

356s were made from the late forties through to 1965 when the 911 was introduced. At the beginning they were nearly all VW Beetle, but with different heads and twin carbs, but slowly they became more and more Porsche and mine is one of the last.

It's 1600cc and it weights 700kilos filled with oil etc and it develops 75 din and 88 SAE bhp so is about as fast as a TR4 or MGB, but has better brakes, far better handling, it's more comfortable, has a better ride and a smoother engine. It's an amazing little car and the second model not to have the final oversteer problem "experts" still witter on about.

It has VW front suspension, but Koni dampers and ZF steering. It has Porsche rear suspension, transmission and engine that looks the same as VW but is different.

It's noisy by modern standards and the engine sounds like a cement mixer full of empty biscuit tins, but it has a very wide spread of power, it quickly reaches 70-80 and pulls from modest speeds in top. Because it's a flat four, it sort of beats and doesn't seem to be revving as hard as a straight four even though it is.

I've had the underneath stripped off, rust treated, primed and stone chipped. We've replaced two front floors and welded a sil and we've cavity waxed everything before fitting a new interior from Lakewell.com. We put lots of sound deadening into it, so it's quieter than it was and quieter than the Healey, but....

When they were new in the U.K. They were almost twice the price of the E Type because of import duties that joining the EU got rid of, so they were very rare and considered odd, but they're actually a stunningly good little car, albeit for vast amounts of money now. They've gone up quite a bit since I got mine.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About fifteen years ago I competed in a few rallies (as navigator, not driving) in a mid-1950s 356, and I must say I was very impressed with it.

Comparing it to other cars of the 'fifties that I have experienced, it was amazingly competent, my Lancia Appia being the only other car of the period which stands comparison, although I must admit for a hobby car it was almost too good! I like my cars a bit quirky with lots of character, and the Porsche left me a bit cold, without the charm of some other cars.

I hope you enjoy your purchase and it does all that you want of it.
Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to answer requests for more information on your newly acquired Porsche 356.

It looks to be in A1 order and the quality of the new interior is something to behold.

I hope you will have a lot of enjoyment from the 356.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Da Tow'd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley seeing your 356 gets me interested in getting back into mine, but many hours left and many parts missing, Oh well it is a long term project

more pictures please
thanks
Hank
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank

You have to finish because they're quite amazing to drive. They're noisy than moderns but otherwise far ahead of anything of the time.

Thanks all for the kind words, only trouble is that they're daft money now, Porsche's generally are fetching stupendous sum, Boxsters excepted and they're one of the best of the lot.

Here's my new floors.

Da Tow'd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ashley
Did you have to add new longitudinals panels also?
Lots of spot welding I'm using a MIG and Tig slow work but fun
cheers
Hank
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Tow'd wrote:
Thanks Ashley
Did you have to add new longitudinals panels also?
Lots of spot welding I'm using a MIG and Tig slow work but fun
cheers
Hank

All it needed was the two front floors and a repair to the near side sill. We drilled holes front and rear of both and sprayed the insides with Dinitrol.

The only other very rusty was the covered dashtop.
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Passage Inn at Arlingham on the River Severn

stevehg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely picture Smile

cheers, Steve
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chavenage today, the leaves are on the turn.

mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: