classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Garage floor tiles anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
rcx822

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Garage floor tiles anyone? Reply with quote

Someone hit the corner of my pre-fab garage with their car while navigating the corner of my alley way. The impact took down the corner of the garage so I'm having a new breezeblock garage built on the old concrete slab. The concrete base has ridges, creates dust, and is far from smooth.

The garage is 30 sq m or 322 sq.ft.

A local company has quoted £1600 for a standard duty floor using some self levelling material, but they say it won't cope long term with trolley jacks and axle stands. For a heavy duty epoxy solution it's £2600. So probably £3000 by the time I add the trims and liquid membrane.

I've read online that porcelain tiles are popular for garages in the USA, but don't seem to be available in the UK that I can find.

If I lay down screed I think it needs a min 75mm thickness so I loose some height in the garage. Will screed still generate dust? And how smooth will it be?
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porcelain tiles need to be laid in wet cement to ensure there are no air voids under them which could cause them to break and come away from the floor. I spoke to a client of mine who has a tiling business and he recommended quarry tiles if i had to go down that route as they are a lot harder than porcelain tiles. I eventually went for plastic tiles, easy to lay and if any are damaged easy to replace. They've been down 4 or 5 years now and still look new.

The other option you have is to hire a grinder and grind the soft top layer of concrete off your existing floor leaving a hard surface that can be sealed and will not cause any dust.

My floor was laid on the hottest day of summer, the top dried too quick even though I covered it with polythene to try and stop it drying too fast. I was left with a very chalky powdery surface that threw up plumes of white dust, so after it had cured over the winter I hired a grinder and removed the top. It's a messy job but well worth it for the end results

After finishing grinding and rinsing the floor this was the next morning

Once the floor dried for a couple of weeks I used a clear sealant to ensure there was no more dust

A couple of years later and I fitted the floor tiles

rcx822

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me about quarry tiles, apparently they were often used in workshops.

Was it levelling compound that you put down?

I don't want to grind my floor as the rebar in places was a bit close to the surface of the slab so I don't want to make things worse.

What are the plastic tiles like to work on?
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never put any levelling compound down. I laid the floor in 3 separate slabs, each slab approximately 3.4m x 6.7m over the course of a week, but because of the intense heat the top dried faster than it should causing the top (the cream) to go soft/powdery, so grinding the top off takes the soft top away leaving a very hard surface. I doubt if there was more than 5mm removed from the top to get to the hard surface so unless your rebar is right at the top I would doubt you will ever grind far enough down to do any damage.

Plastic tiles I used are great, I have on the odd occasion jacked up vehicles with a trolley jack directly onto the tiles without any damage, but I usually slip a piece of ply wood under first to prevent any tile damage
rcx822

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't decided which route to take yet, but I'm thinking whichever route I take I will grind down the slab first.
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Epoxy Reply with quote

You can get self levelling thin bed epoxy screeds which are extremely tough, and can be coloured, non slip etc. They only add a minimal height to the floor slab. Don't go for a sand and cement based screed, they are the devil to lay and are very damage prone, as well, as you say, being around 70mm thick.
Boring Tucson SUV
rcx822

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen lots of epoxy layers, just not sure if they will cope with axle stands etc. I probably need to start calling the manufacturers.
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This material is used in factories and workshops, select a suitable industrial grade and it should be up to the job.
Boring Tucson SUV
winchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sold tools for a living and visited many garages the best one I ever saw was quarry tiled, it still looked new after 20 years. The other I like is old Tram and bus garages used blocks of wood about 4" thick stood on end and secured with tar on the bottom edge as it is very tough but not cold to lie on. This could be done on the cheap with scaffold planks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: