classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anyone know what this is for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Miken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Anyone know what this is for? Reply with quote

This thing is fitted to the carburettor flange on my Morris Cowley.
Is it an original fitment or some sort of aftermarket device?
Its clearly intended to introduce a swirl to the incoming mixture.
I suspect the car would go better without it?

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminds me of an aftermarket economy accessory, various types were produced over the years. I've a booklet somewhere on one of them from the 1930s, I'll see if I can find it. Whether it's the same I can't be sure from memory - neat thing though.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen an advert for something similar many years ago, the idea I believe was to create air turbulence in the induction, thereby improving air /fuel mixture. Whether it was fitted to your Morris from new i wouldn't know.

Morris 8 two seater
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen similar things too, I think the idea was to spin and atomize the fuel for better performance and increased mpg.

Back in the day there were so many of these "things" that in theory, by adding them all, my Mini would have done at least 150mph and managed 200 mpg, all without burning a single drop of oil. Wink
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid. If they worked we'd be fitting them now.
Miken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
Get rid. If they worked we'd be fitting them now.

Yes I think I will bin it. The incoming fuel mixture has such a tortuous route, the carb is on one side of the engine and the inlet valves are on the other , Im sure this thing cant help.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a310/1802932/

Scroll down to "Vortex Generator" . The full article is interesting

There was likely more financial savings in not buying these devices in the first place.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a great believer in getting back to how the original designer intended and then applying basic tuning theory; improve inlet flow with porting and polishing, increase compression ration to benefit from modern fuels, look at exhaust routing and finally ensure carburetion, timing etc. and spot on. There's not much more to be done with 80+ year old engines.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really see it helping either but I wonder how many years your Morris has been running with it fitted?
jp928

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing something similar on a car from the 70s - large SU, had a brass plate behind the butterfly with many short pointy teeth on the back, facing in toward the head, at an angle to the airflow... Cant remember what it was now.

jp 26 Rover 9
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon Miken, don't bin it. It may be a good item for a "What is it" question at some future club quizz night.

I wish I had hung onto some of the 'stuff' I've had instead of binning it.

Cheers, Tony. Smile
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
I have seen an advert for something similar many years ago, the idea I believe was to create air turbulence in the induction, thereby improving air /fuel mixture. Whether it was fitted to your Morris from new i wouldn't know.
i believe it was more to do with putting money in some unscrupulous buggers pocket, apologies if I'm not allowed to say unscrupulous.
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something similar on an Austin Seven I once owned. I never did any scientific side-by-side tests, but that car was the most economical Seven I have ever had! I believe the item fitted to my car was called a Cox Atomiser, but I can't find any information on that name on t'internet, so I may be mistaken. It was a different design to this one, having a sort of conical mesh centre,; it certainly didn't appear to do any harm!
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
It definitely looks like it is thought to improve combustion by swirling the fuel intake, in a similar way to the swirl valves which were eventually fitted to diesels.
Unbelievably there are still such devices available.
https://thunderproducts.com/shop/quad-flow-torque-wing/

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skoda Estelles [at least, the one's I took apart?] had something similar in intention.

The twin choke [Jikov..an improvement to the Weber copy]....carb sat cross-ways on the manifold.....with the primary choke furthest from the manifold runners.

Underneath the carb insulation block was a plate with a similar idea to the topic of this thread.

Without the plate, running was often a bit more 'spluttery'...so it seems the intention was to create a swirl effect?
[Skoda engineers were not known for 'getting it wrong'.....]

This would be on the 5 port 105/120 engines.

A known mod done by the 'rally' folk was to grind out the basic figure-8 hole on the inlet manifold, to make a bigger hole altogether....then remove the plate! It was also easy to modify the diaphragm-controlled linkage that opened the 2nd choke, so they both opened together! That did nothing to improve fuel consumption. The Jikov carb was also useful, from a performance viewpoint, because the driver could acquire high-speed enrichment 'on demand'...by using the choke lever! Since the choke system was passageways, etc..and not a flap over the venturi, like many other carbs...there was no restriction to airflow if the choke lever was yanked.

I used to trial a Skoda Estelle more than 25 years ago....all a bit pre-internet, so made useful contacts amongst the old rally competitors...who competed in the production classes, with very tight sets of rules...back in the '70's and early '80's! Amazing the tricks that could be practiced, yet remaining within the rules!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: