classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

E93A engine weight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: E93A engine weight Reply with quote

Hullo all,
Thinking of pulling the engine from my Prefect to renew the rings and generally have a look-see. Bought an electric hoist from Lidl the other day, so cheap I had to! However not sure of engine weight. Don't want to pull roof of garage down.
Can anyone help with this.?
All the best
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10 hp engine probably weighs a bit less than the BMC A-series.

What size beam are you slinging the lift from?

If the roof [trusses??] will take your own weight swinging from a rope, [or something,] they'll take the weight of a Ford sidevalve engine.

To lessen the weight to lift, remove manifolding?
safechief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alistair,sounds sensible, especially my weight. Classic please that comes with hoist is sized to fit 40mm square section steel tube as I remember.
Once again thanks for you help
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
safechief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typo there sorry , should be claimed please that comes with hoist.
Regards Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
safechief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh heck 'clamp'. Is it me or predictive text!
Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in doubt, a worthwhile investment of circa £100 or less, off ebay, will get you a hydraulic engine hoist.

These may look like they won't last long , but the rams [usually Chinese] are serviceable, and the frames are often standard box section steel tube [painted]...so can be adapted for modest sums, to make a crane more useful.

{I never bother about whether these things are shoddy, as long as they can be adapted, modified, or whatever, with ease? Perhaps a bit of drilling, or arm replacement?]

I have not just lifted engines, but sometimes the whole car, with one of these. [my cars are light, aside from one or two]...

Main issue I was concerned about was 'reach'.

On mine, the adjustable arm was barely long enough, and only left a few inches of steel inside it's 'sleeve'...so, in future, a metre or so of heavy thickness rectangular box steel[offcut] from a friendly stockist is on the cards....

Also, because I don't have the benefit of a decent warm dry workshop that an entire vehicle can be got into....some of my lifting is done outside....thus I'd be tempted to buy some large diameter, solid wheels to outfit the crane's frame with, making it easier to traverse rough ground with?

But, ebay, and an engine crane, would be my route [well, it was my route!!] I do have a chain hoist, ex-leccy board....but no longer any decent beams to sling it off...my last garage had joists of 6x2, well strong enough to support a swinging sidevalve!!
safechief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Prefect engine weight Reply with quote

Thanks Alistair, saw those, looked good but the problem where to store afterwards. My single garage is full (mostly Prefect)so is my shed, and I have lost my lockup. Electric hoist once rigged will stay up out of the way. Worked out I need 150 cm of 45 mm square box section steel to rig between 3 roof trusses at 600mm centres.
Regards
Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, those cranes simply bolt together [they come as a flatpack]....so they can be dismantled [at least, only need to go 'so far' down?]...for storage?

I need to take mine apart just to get it through my workshop door......so that I can lift [sidevalve] engines up onto my workspace?

I'm past lifting engines unaided these days.
ka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having picked up my engine a few times. it seems comparable with a sack of spuds, but the advice of testing by body weight is wise, providing you are not a Victoria's secrets model.
I use a recycled disabled person lift, they have a shelf life, and can be obtained quite cheaply from Nursing homes etc. They also fold flat. I made a new upright to fit in the base, to be able to use as an engine building clamp, so handy for 360degree access.

Better three than four.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that...is a very useful tip!! Guess I'll have to cultivate the local health trust?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: