classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Flooding - Carburettor 34IV Zenith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
TriciaS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Flooding - Carburettor 34IV Zenith Reply with quote

Hi,
I am hoping for a miracle, I have tried replacing all but the actual carburettor and yet it is still flooding, 3 floats - 2 needle & Seats - fuel pump - gasket sets - cleaned jets - what else is there.
when first got the car it was flooding out the overflow only, now it is flooding out the overflow pipe and the breather at the top of the carb, cleaned all parts several times.
Any info as to what else can cause this flooding greatly appreciated .
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the fuel level is too high. I'm not familiar with this particular carburettor, but I imagine there is some means of adjusting the float level?
TriciaS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
It sounds like the fuel level is too high. I'm not familiar with this particular carburettor, but I imagine there is some means of adjusting the float level?

Hi,
Thanks for reply, I have adjusted the float level, only thing might be different is the new floats are not exactly the same as the old one, supposed to be new old stock for my carb so when it says to measure from gasket to top of float 31mm would that be different if new float is not as bulky as the old one, even zenith website has new shape ones and do not say to do a different measurement but I have tried a mm or 2, either way, to see if any improvement
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like fuel level.

Also, is the replacement fuel pump to original spec? I've read of people fitting new electric pumps to cars that don't usually have them, and the pressure can be too high unless a pressure regulator is included upstream of the carb.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
TriciaS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
It does sound like fuel level.

Also, is the replacement fuel pump to original spec? I've read of people fitting new electric pumps to cars that don't usually have them, and the pressure can be too high unless a pressure regulator is included upstream of the carb.

RJ

Hi,
Thanks for reply, new pump is again new and is for my carburettor, not electric as trying to keep everything original, have just retested 3rd float in warm water and it is showing a couple of bubbles where plastic joins metal, compared to last 2 floats it seems hardly anything but could that let in fuel and start flooding within 2 mins of starting the car, I have decided to try sealing the edge where bubbles are with fuel resistant sealant and hope to try again in 3 days when completely cured
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel resitant sealant? Hmmm ... potentially unrelaible methinks. Try using a soldering iron on a plastic flaot ...see if you can hot seal it?
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this booklet might assist you, not greatest pics as they
are photos rather than scans.....

Despite my best efforts, I bet these come out upside down!!
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought so Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: