classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any oil experts out there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
trampintransit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Any oil experts out there... Reply with quote

So...taking the Scimitar for it's first MOT after recommissioning. At the last moment thought to check the diff oil. Damn near empty!!!!

For want of anything else and on the basis that anything's better than nothing...I filled it with GL-5 gear oil. But it's not HYPOID ... anybody got any opinions on how long it'll last.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within reason, any oil is better than no oil?
I have a farmer chum who regualry checks & tops off axle, gearbox and engine oils on his trakerters and Dai-Hatsus [I have one of his]...but uses the same 'oil' in everything.
As he says, any is better than none, and if regularly changed, etc, should be fine?

I should point out, he uses old retired machinery a he is truly Yorkshire in outlook...cannot abide compooters in vehicles.

For longevity of the oil, why not change what is in there at present, in a month or so, when you have the proper stuff? Smile
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a short while I was an agricultural engineer 'oop North' at Leeming Bar. The salesman was trying to seal a new tractor to a Yorkshire farmer but he was reluctant to finilise the deal, until the salesman said "With this trackter you get four new tyres and a free battery"! The sale then went through!

Cheers, Tony. Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: