classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bodging a brake cylinder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Bodging a brake cylinder. Reply with quote

I helped a friend who was having problems with his front brakes (drums).One cylinder looked a bit damp,when we pulled out the piston the seal had some sort of black silicone daubed all over the bottom.The cylinder wqas scored quite badly,I,ve never seen a bodge quite like it,my pal has only had the car a few weeks and it had a long MOT. Happily its off the road now waiting for a new set of cylinders etc.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's the thing with MOTs - as long as the brakes were providing enough braking effort to pass the test, then how it's achieved (as long as fluid isn't visibly leaking) won't be seen. Mine just failed on rear brake imbalance, the side they said was better actually had a piston that was so fixed in place I had to remove the cylinder and close it in a vice to shift it.
jp928

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber grease is commonly put under the rubber boots to help them last and stay pliable. Many cylinders that wont clean up with honing (to remove scores) can be sleeved with stainless tubing.
jp 26 Rover 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: