classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

posting pix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

Thanks for keeping OCC members up to date.

I will be back home in a few hours and will download the photos I have on PB because it would not surprise me to see the company fold.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:
This piss taking attitude is not helpful. If I can't post pics here then I won't bother.

I'm as annoyed as anyone by seeing threads de-railed by photos disappearing overnight, but having a pop at others instead of offering something constructive doesn't appear to help much either.

RJ
i too was hoping for something constructive Rick, not posting photos as if it's so easy.
I use another forum, not cars, and 3rd party hosting is not needed. Photos are uploaded onto the forums server.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Paul's comment. This was my posting early on in the discussion.

peterwpg wrote:
I am also a member of a Family History forum. Photos are uploaded to their servers.

This is at the bottom of their page. Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.1.3
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved

Forum hosting, such as OCC is not done without cost and I would hazard a guess that hosting with photos is likely more expensive.

Rick: Q? Can you comment on the last bit.

Update as of 6.20PM 5th July 2017. Downloaded all Albums/Images/Video from Photobucket. Deleted online albums. Deleted Account.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Their file names do include the file name that you used when you sent the file to them.

Peter

Yes, but what I meant was if I download a specific album (called, for example, "PrescottVSCC2015") it'd be nice if the zip file they create was called "hpfirenza_PrescottVSCC2015.zp" instead of calling it hpfirenza_e8ad8d21.zip. I know I can "save as", but it'd be easier to not have to.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike. I don't think the words "easy", "considerate", "fair play" or "possible backlash" were high on their list, or even made the list.

.......... having said that, it was a "Free" service for many people and in the end, us "Free Users" got what we paid for.

The whole thing still stinks though... Evil or Very Mad
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:

Forum hosting, such as OCC is not done without cost and I would hazard a guess that hosting with photos is likely more expensive.

Rick: Q? Can you comment on the last bit.

Well yes it could hammer bandwidth and quite possibly storage space after a while, resulting in increased hosting costs just to keep things afloat. That's not taking into account the significant amount of time it'd take to create a photo uploading application to sit alongside the forum, and the many admin tasks that it'd drop onto my desk - for instance:

- should photo sizes (filesize, size of image) be restricted?
- should photos that have been uploaded, only be usable in posts on the OCC forum - ie to stop people uploading photos then calling them from other forums, websites etc on the cheap?
- should there be a limit on how many photos each member can upload?
- should there be a limit on filespace available to a forum member?
- should files be bulk uploadable, or one at a time
- and should photo files be downloadable again back to the local computer?
- should photos taken on a mobile be automatically uploadable to the forum, bearing in mind any size limits?
- as a result, should forum membership become paid-for instead of free? (before anyone asks, that's a non-starter as that's the quickest way to nobble any site such as this. What odds Photobucket still being around in a year or two's time??)

To instigate a photo uploading element to the forum would be a wonderful idea in theory, but an overwhelming amount of work both to set up, and to manage going forward.

Just a few thoughts in case anyone was thinking along these lines Smile

It may be that an off-the-shelf compromise solution could be implemented at some point in future, but as things are right now there simply isn't the spare time to look into it. I suspect this is the case for many niche forums such as this.

For the record, I host all my images on paid-for server space as it is.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people are switching to Flickr it seems, which (as of now) has quite a decent free service by all accounts. The golden rule though is keep a copy of all your photos on your local PC, never rely on others.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else I'd not considered but just read elsewhere, regarding a forum owner hosting images on behalf of the forum members, is that said forum owner may well become responsible for the content of images that they now host. That could open many a can of worms, especially if the images were being uploaded here, but being called from - and displayed on - sites elsewhere....

RJ
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick. That reply answered not only my question but quite a few I hadn't asked and it put it all in one posting that can be pointed to in the future.

To quote Parliament "I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago".

Perhaps PB's decision was done in order to make the balance sheet look better and buy time.

Regards

Peter
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
A lot of people are switching to Flickr it seems, which (as of now) has quite a decent free service by all accounts. The golden rule though is keep a copy of all your photos on your local PC, never rely on others.

RJ

Sound advice, re storage of photos, but I think for many of us it is the fact that the loss of photos tends to make the thread impotent.
DM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

- should photo sizes (filesize, size of image) be restricted?
- should photos that have been uploaded, only be usable in posts on the OCC forum - ie to stop people uploading photos then calling them from other forums, websites etc on the cheap?
- should there be a limit on how many photos each member can upload?
- should there be a limit on filespace available to a forum member?
- should files be bulk uploadable, or one at a time
- and should photo files be downloadable again back to the local computer?
- should photos taken on a mobile be automatically uploadable to the forum, bearing in mind any size limits?
- as a result, should forum membership become paid-for instead of free? (before anyone asks, that's a non-starter as that's the quickest way to nobble any site such as this. What odds Photobucket still being around in a year or two's time??)

To instigate a photo uploading element to the forum would be a wonderful idea in theory, but an overwhelming amount of work both to set up, and to manage going forward.

Just a few thoughts in case anyone was thinking along these lines Smile

It may be that an off-the-shelf compromise solution could be implemented at some point in future, but as things are right now there simply isn't the spare time to look into it. I suspect this is the case for many niche forums such as this.

For the record, I host all my images on paid-for server space as it is.

RJ

You might be in luck Rick.

My son wrote the code for a phpBB gallery module for me a while back.

It allowed forum members to post pictures (you can set a limit to the max size of picture that can be uploaded) to the gallery and then link them into a post.

When we had it active on a forum it allowed linking of the pictures or thumbnails to other sites but that can be blocked.

Also any picture uploaded is traceable to the user name of the forum member who uploaded it.

He reckons an affordable option to host pictures on the forum is possible.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
is that said forum owner may well become responsible for the content of images that they now host.

You only have to look at the recent calls to force social media companies to be better at removing certain types of content from their systems to see that at least some hold the sites responsible.

I have started to download some of my stuff from PB, but it's so slow because of everyone else doing it that I haven't completed the task. I do have copies of all of them, but I couldn't say it's easy to remember what external HDD they're on, or how the library they are in on PB relates to the folder they're in locally. As I only uploaded a total of 300Mb, even my steam-powered mobile broadband can download them quicker than I could probably find them.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have transferred all of my Photobucket to Postimage and have been manually correcting a fair proportion of my threads and found it relatively quick if rather tedious.

Thanks to Penman for the pointer to Postimage. I found it much more user friendly than Flickr and whilst Imgur is easy it loses the original file names so not easy for editing PB threads.

Peter
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Di think photo bucket are playing games, I started downloading one of my galleries and it said they would email me when done. This morning I had an email to say it was ready to download and I had 12 hours to do it. The 12 hours had expired, so couldn't download it. I downloaded some photos individually but may not bother with the rest. I have most of the photos on my PC anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: