classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Smart Lanchester LD10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Smart Lanchester LD10 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Another from the "largely unloved and overlooked cars of the early 1950s" file, in the (I think) attractive form of a Lanchester LD10.

Shame the original number's been swiped off it, but otherwise I like it a lot.

http://ebay.to/2rsJiiw

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I repeat myself, but I reckon that the Wilson box on Lanchesters and Daimlers puts folk off. I have no idea what the reserve is on this but right now it is ridiculously cheap fo a quality classic
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful instrument panel!
petelang

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wilson box is virtually indestructible!
A wonderful piece of engineering and stands up to collosall wear. I should think it's an asset!
Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is such a shame when the number gets taken off, its another piece of a cars history.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 100% with you petelang. but it is not unusual and I hear lots of folk who say they would not have one just because it is out of the norm. We have similar issues with Jowetts. Because the engines are horizontally opposed folk are scared off despite the success of VW Beetles & Subaru using the layout. It is a colossal shame!
petelang

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Paul, when you consider that virtually the same gearbox, just a bit bigger, was fitted to the London Routemaster bus which probably made thousands of gear changes each day (eight stops to the mile at least, plus traffic) and these dear old things were still running 30/40 years later under even more arduous conditions they are a miracle of engineering.
In a former career I was involved with the repair and reconditioning of these on contract for London Transport and believe me they received the most appealing abuse. Wrong oil, virtually no oil, wrong air pressures, both too high, too low, incorrectly adjusted, you name it, but we used to pull them apart, renew the band linings, a few bearings and planet gear bushes and away they went again to do another million miles.
The duty cycle of a London bus gearbox is THE test for any bit of engineering survival. If it's good enough for that it should survive any average user of a vintage Classic car.
I bet these things would outlive anything used today, although the ZF Ecomat used in many vehicles (bus/trucks) is pretty good, as long as the oil is OK.
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: