classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Starting an engine that's been sitting for a couple of years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration

Tow the car slowly in gear to get compression up or other?
Yes, tow away!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No this should never be done.
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

MattF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Starting an engine that's been sitting for a couple of years Reply with quote

A couple of years ago my s1 Morris 8 was a two turn over easy start, since then it's been garaged. Have tried getting it going this week and it's not going to good - a couple of times I've managed to get it to run for a few seconds maybe half a min and then it dies Sad not really sure it has been running on all cylinders when it has run so I'm wondering if all the oil may have run down to the sump and now I can't get full compression?
When I first got it, it had been sitting ten years and after an oil change and new plugs I started it by just towing it until I got compression and it started. What's people's view on trying that?
Also I'm not sure how big the sparks from the spark plugs should be but they don't seem that big - can plugs deteriorate over time if they are just left sitting?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about deteriorating plugs, but they can get damp - if you're not sure about that, you could stick them in the oven or on a radiator for a bit.

What's the fuel like? Modern fuels "go off" much more quickly than older ones.

It is possible the rings have stuck which might affect compression - can you stick a compression tester on it and see?

Really, the best way is a methodical run through everything, one item at a time, until it sorts itself out. Even something like corrosion on connectors can drop current sufficiently that things don't run as well as they should.
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

With regards to your other post, you backfiring could be due to sticky valves. As Mike says, do a compression test. Do it wet and dry. I.E. take a reading as-is and then pump some oil down each cylinder to seal the pistons and repeat test. If the wet readings improve then the pistons/rings are worn or stuck.

Art
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: running then stopping Reply with quote

sounds like fuel /air mix. if w have old fuel ?especially modern ethanol crap !
back firing can be sticking valves and or bad timing, coil.poor earthing .
ideally before starting an engine standing a long time .. a squirt of diesel and engine oil ( 50-50%) around rings. a couple of hours before can make huge. difference. to ease of cranking and reducing ring adhesion to cyl walls etc.
best to slow go through. each thing one at a time . fuel change in carb /line . add. an octane booster? check compression wet and dry. check. coil .batttery connections for corrosion.
jp928

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil the bores, change the engine oil, refresh the petrol. new plugs, check the points, clean the inside of the dizzy cap, and the outside. Fuel systems do funny things when allowed to sit for a long time - deposits come out of solution and clog up pipes and jets etc. Check the carb float bowl for rubbish, and the float and needle & seat for operation. Check the fuel pump operates ok.
jp 26 Rover 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: