classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Why are there so few classic Vauxhall cars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falconriley wrote:
Probably so few because the last Vauxhall was built in 1925.
Matthew

I owned a 1928 Vauxhall 20/60 saloon, built in Luton, 98% English designed by Vauxhall. But it's true that by this time GM had ownership of the Vauxhall brand.
The 20/60 was a fabulous car but spare parts were non existent and the club didn't have any parts other than gaskets.
Sold it after about 8 years ownership and now own a Humber 14/40. The Humber Register have a long list of parts to purchase and even have parts re-manufactured which helps keep the cars on the road. Pity Vauxhall club don't follow their lead.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent a very enjoyable weekend watching the activity from the Goodwood Festival of Speed on YouTube. Of all the vintage and classic cars to take part, only one failed to reach the top of the hill, not once but twice, a Vauxhall - doesn't reflect well on the marque, does it?

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
I just spent a very enjoyable weekend watching the activity from the Goodwood Festival of Speed on YouTube. Of all the vintage and classic cars to take part, only one failed to reach the top of the hill, not once but twice, a Vauxhall - doesn't reflect well on the marque, does it?

Out of interest which Vauxhall model was it?
I would say the breakdowns reflect poorly on the maintenance mechanics, but not knowing the cause of the breakdowns that could be unfair perhaps.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
Pity Vauxhall club don't follow their lead.

My Vauxhall club (the Droopsnoot Group) do this, as far as is possible. But we cater for a very limited range of vehicles that weren't made in large numbers to start with. So having some things made is possible economically, and some stuff is just not.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falconriley wrote:
Matthew

You have a point there but why are Veteran Vauxhalls so thin on the ground? I think there is just one surviving LBR car - but I may be wrong.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
riley541 wrote:

Out of interest which Vauxhall model was it?
I would say the breakdowns reflect poorly on the maintenance mechanics, but not knowing the cause of the breakdowns that could be unfair perhaps.

I can't be certain as it doesn't feature in the results but it could have been the 1925 30/98 Wensum that was also there last year.

http://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=GOODWOOD/2017/172666fos.pdf

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to a show at the weekend and there was a lovely 50's Vauxhall Cresta, nice to see them as they are unusual to see these days. It had a lot of interest.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from a brief encounter with a tatty Carlton estate years ago (one that I planned to re-engine, but in the end sent to the scrapyard), and rescuing a 1934 ASY (in a swap for my Saab van), I've not owned a Vauxhall, but I'd quite happily own a vintage example (£££££££££££), while the E-Series of the 1950s also appeals.

Coincidental to this thread, a two-tone F-Type Victor (Phase 2) was spotted in town yesterday evening.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

Coincidental to this thread, a two-tone F-Type Victor (Phase 2) was spotted in town yesterday evening.

RJ

I am amazed that any F type Victors survive. My Dad bought a new one (it was actually a demonstrator at our local garage) and when parked in the drive it looked fantastic. The American styling and chrome gave the car a very futuristic appearance. Ours was pale blue with blue and white interior and compared with the other cars in our road which were mostly either pre war or early post war British porridge in black or grey, the Vauxhall really stood out.

Unfortunately, after three years the rust had taken hold. In a minor incident with an Austin A50 the near side head light fell out in a heap of rust on the road. Shortly after this, it was written off when another car smashed side on into it. The roof went up and the floor went down. Stupidly, Dad only had third party insurance in those days so we ended up with a second hand 100E ! Confused
JohnDale

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an apprentice when the F range of Vauxhalls appeared as the Victor. I remember the exhaust exit was THROUGH the back bumper which didn't help the bean cans rusting. The dealership manager's company car at that time was an (LIP) L model with a 6 cylinder engine which put the new cars to shame. The E models were also rusty but not as bad with the (EIPC) Cresta a fine car to drive. The previous(to the L model) cars, H & J ranges stood the ravages of time much better, & the older(proper Vauxhalls) even more so. An EIX Wyvern (with the side opening bonnet) is often seen at the shows here & is in splendid order, but who knows how much work it has taken to get to that. Cheers,JD.
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
falconriley wrote:
Matthew

You have a point there but why are Veteran Vauxhalls so thin on the ground? I think there is just one surviving LBR car - but I may be wrong.

From my limited understanding many of the Vauxhall were exported into Australia, New Zealand and South Afirica. I know that the Australia and New Zealand cars have thier own club backing, my own Vauxhall came back from New Zealand.
Also when the. auxhall brand were taken over by GM the buying public, stirred up by the media of the time. really stuck the boot into the GM/Vauxhall brand. Much of the criticism at the time was unfounded and unjustified, GM/Vauxhall were so offended they pulled all advert's and magazine road testing cars. This went on for a couple of years and explains why road tests of the time were almost non existent. Problem is that, as we all know, mud sticks, and so even to this day People will suggest 'it's not a proper Vauxhall'?
However, this is a daft attitude then as it is now, without GM Vauxhall would have gone the same way as many other brands went, bankrupt.
Just imagine no Vauxhall Lotus.

That's my point of view and I know that people may disagree, I will say that Vauxhall were manufacturing a very well engineered and built luxury car, the fabulous 30/98 every bit as good as the Bentley even to this day, imo.
Keith D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the quality of the mechanical engineering side of GM Vauxhalls was ever in question. IMHO General Motors engines have always been superb, It was the bodies that were disastrous!

Like Ray, I loved the look of the fifties Victors; believe me, in their day the styling was truly American space-age and put many other car offerings in the shade.

There is a very well established, large Vauxhall Club in Western Australia and their cars are a credit to them. Many Vauxhalls, especially post-war tourer models were built by Holden in Australia.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from a rather modest background, the idea of buying a new car was something, as a family, we would never have contemplated so when our fortunes changed with an inheritance it was a very exciting time. I can't seem to post the photo on here but if you go to Wikipedia there is a beautifully restored early F type Victor. It is in pale blue and looks identical to the one we had back in 1960. Fabulous. The early version featured many styling clues from the '57 Chevrolet Bel Air but we were unaware of that at the time.

It is hard to imagine the impact these Vauxhalls had because if you look at a new car in a showroom these days you are unlikely to say "WOW" !
falconriley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the reason Veteran Vauxhalls are so thin on the ground is that I don't believe there were many A-type cars built before the war, and while there were certainly many D-type cars produced during the war they, like Sunbeam, were used as staff cars. I expect that by the end of the war the cars just weren't worth repatriating as there are very few of either make surviving from that period. Production was slow to begin again for cars after the war, plus there was an export market amongst the colonies.
There are many 14/40, 23/60 and 30/98 cars from the vintage years surviving.
Matthew
poodge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Vauxhalls sold in new zealand were the FD series,and there is an original 2 litre FD running around locally.
There is also a mid 50's E series Cresta about,but painted in a god-awful metallic green.
When Vauxhall stopped selling cars in NZ,the spares supply dried up rapidly,which is possibly one reason so few are about here.
I owned a couple of PB's in the 70's,and although powerful,the gear linkage was a right PITA to keep adjusted.They also had a habit of the inlet manifold burning through into the exhaust manifold it was on top of,leading to a hard to find misfire!My fix was apiece of thin steel plated slid between the manifolds,which would last about 5 thousand miles.
A fiend of mine had an FB Victor,but I found it rather a ponderous thing to drive,and a bit gutless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: