classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Positive or Negative Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
MikeG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Positive or Negative Earth Reply with quote

I have a problem.I have been advised that my 1936 Triumph Gloria is Negative Earth.A second person has told me that his car is Positive Earth.This is supported by the live wire Battery Terminal(which looks original,but could have been changed) being marked "N"
Please can anyone tell me how I confirm one of the conflicting ideas.?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing of cars of this age, but surely if you connect a volt meter across something like a lamp terminal and turn on the lights, you'll be able to tell based on whether the reading shows negative or positive? That is, if you put the meter + wire to the lamp supply, and the meter - wire to the body, if it's negative earth you'd see roughly 12v, and if it's positive earth, you'd see roughly -12v?

Or is it in the process of being rebuilt and you need to know in order to put it back correctly?
MikeG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike.Thanks for your reply.
I am in the process of rebuilding a car that has been stored for over 50 years.
I have had the Engine reconditioned and wish to time it and run it.
I have no lights connected,as the wings have been refurbished and are at the painting stage.
I do not want to reverse the polarity and risk damaging the Dynamo or Voltage Regulator.
I do have a meter,but my understanding is poor.
Thanks for any help.
Mike
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Assuming that you haven't added any nasty modern accessories to your car then none of your components will suffer any damage regardless of which way you choose to connect the battery. The only component that you might choose to reverse connections on is your ammeter otherwise its indications of charge and discharge could be the reverse of what it is showing you. All other components will operate normally.

Peter
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Hi Mike,

Assuming that you haven't added any nasty modern accessories to your car then none of your components will suffer any damage regardless of which way you choose to connect the battery. The only component that you might choose to reverse connections on is your ammeter otherwise its indications of charge and discharge could be the reverse of what it is showing you. All other components will operate normally.

Peter

? what about the dynamo output ?. However, if the car has an ammeter, connecting just one bulb to the lighting system would reveal the polarity as set when the vehicle was dismantled. Mike has indicated that he is not 100% comfortable with the electric side of things and I would be tempted to try and prove polarity before getting to the start-run stage of the build.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:

? what about the dynamo output ?.

Yes, you might need to flash it to reverse its residual magnetism, but it's no big deal.

Peter
MikeG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thanks for your suggestions.
The first thing I would like to do is to establish the original Earth polarity.
If I diisconnect the new Electronic Pump and the new Coil which I was adviced to buy,both negative earth.
Then connect the battery positive terminal to earth.
What next?
Mike
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I don't know the earth sense of the Gloria. Most pre-war cars were positive earth.

Modern coils usually have their terminals marked + and - so if you plan to have positive earth then connect the + terminal to your contact breaker.

Is your fuel pump reversible? Show us a photo of its innards.

Peter
MikeG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter
The new coil polarity can be changed and I have the instuction for doing so.
If I can confirm that the car should be Positive Earth,then I will contact SU and see if they will change the Pump.
I am still trying to find how to test for the polaity of the Earth Strap.I will see if I can get a reading on my meter across the Stater with the Battery connected.
Thanks for your help
Mike
jp928

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW my 1926 Rover 9 is neg earth. Despite the fact that the wiring diagram shows 3 wires out of the dynamo, I have 2 dynamos off 9s with only one output lead, and its positive. If you have a dynamo, and know how its leads were connected, the wire colour might help. The test looking at the ammeter should help, but its only going to work if the battery is already connected, in which case you should know which side is earth - if there is an earth lead at the battery, the size of the pole clamp is usually smaller on the negative lead. Whichever test of meter from one battery pole to chassis gives a reading will show you the polarity, if the battery is connected.
jp 26 Rover 9
MikeG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feed cable from the battery has a clamp with an N moulded into it, which would indicate Positve Earth.
A member of the Pre 1940 Triumph Club with a number of cars ranging from 1934 to1937 says that all his cars are Negative Earth.
A member who has a car like mine 1936 Short Saloon and is also undergoing restoration thinks that it is Positive Earth.We have two out of three ONLY of these cars the other one is in bits. So may be the Positve Earth is on this model only.
I will try your suggestions over the next few days and post results
Mike
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is your car it does rather look as if it has negative earth.
Not the clearest of diagrams but it looks like the starter motor connects to the positive of the battery. I don't understand what is between the battery negative and ground but perhaps a switch???

Peter

MikeG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter
Were did you find diagram? Is it of a 1936 four cylinder? If it is then problem solved.
There was a Battery Isolater Switch fitted originaly.
I do have a diagrame showing Negative Earth on a 1937 car.
I did have a short test yesterday,without any result.
More to follow
Mike
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I got it from a Google image search. It is an item that was sold on eBay some years back. If you increase the image contrast and sharpen it it becomes almost useful.

See: http://tinyurl.com/y8ks98xm
The title reads "Wiring Diagram for 1935-36 Triumph Gloria" Looking at the illustration of the distributor it does appear to be for the 6 cylinder car but is that car very different to yours? Is the dashboard layout the same?

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: